Danielle Ch5-Part2

Start from the beginning

So, I did what I do best.

I ran.

"DANIELLE!"

Children's Home of the Angels - Stablewood, Nottingham – April 15, 1972

"Well, well, well, look who decided to grace me with her presence," Ms. Harrington sneered, not even bothering to lift her gaze from her paperwork. The young woman's uncertainty was practically palpable as she stepped into the study chamber.

"I was hoping we could have a discussion," Marian said, her voice calm and composed.

"A discussion? About whom or what, Maid Marian?" the older woman inquired, her gaze still focused on her paperwork.

"Danielle," Marian replied, her voice steady.

"Ah, of course," Ms. Harrington responded, her gaze still directed towards the paperwork on her desk as she dipped her quill in ink.

"I'm not so sure that your plan will be the most suitable choice for her," Marian voiced, aiming to initiate a rational discussion with her aunt.

Ms. Harrington lifted her head and glared at her niece, whom she had reluctantly hired to work for the orphanage out of pity. She was beginning to regret her decision as she met Marian's pitiful brown eyes. "And why should I care about your opinion, Marian? Do I need to remind you that you are just a lowly maid here? Your thoughts hold no weight when it comes to the welfare of these orphans. That is my responsibility. Know your place and stay in it."

"No need to remind me since you've chosen to call me 'Maid Marian' every passing day," Marian bit back with a roll of her eyes. "Anyhow, you seem to have forgotten that I was the one who raised Danielle from the moment she was left at the orphanage doorstep as a helpless three-week-old baby. Unlike you, I have always had her best interests at heart. I openly care about her happiness and welfare, which is why I believe I should have a voice in this matter!" Marian's words were filled with heartfelt conviction. "And what about Danielle's choice, hmm? Doesn't she deserve a say in this? How can we be certain that this family is the right fit for her?"

With a sly chuckle, the older woman replied, "Well, well, well. Look who has the nerve to have a bite in her tone. But it seems that you, my dear niece, are the only one with concerns about my decision to place her with a loving family. Rest assured, dear. I have secured a loving home for the girl with none other than the King and his new Queen of the Kingdom of Aristo themselves. They have longed for a child of their own yet are unable to conceive. You, of all people, should know what that's like," she said with a sly smirk, knowing she had struck a nerve. "And as you are well aware, the Sheriff's greedy tax hikes have left this orphanage on the brink of ruin. The royal couple's generous offer of gold is enough to save this prestigious institution. So, you see, my dear niece, I do have the girl's best interests at heart. She will go from being a lowly orphan to living a life of royalty. And let's not forget, she is the youngest and most suitable candidate for this opportunity. Consider the matter settled." Ms. Harrington's tone showed no hesitation or regret as she stood from her chair, gathered her paperwork, and walked away from this unfortunate discussion with her maid of a niece.

Marian halted her aunt in her tracks as she attempted to walk away. "Aunt Harrington, you know this is not right. Using her as a pawn to benefit the orphanage's financial needs is not acceptable, and I will not remain silent about it!" Marian passionately exclaimed.

"Oh, Marian, what a pitiful attempt," Ms. Harrington snarled, a crooked grin spreading across her face. "Aha, I see. Of course, how did I not catch on sooner? You wish to be Danielle's mother, don't you? Simply because you've been her caretaker since she arrived on that doorstep. Do you think you have the right to claim her as your own, formally take on that responsibility, and be titled her mother? Am I correct?" she taunted, swooping closer to her niece and piercing her with a calculating gaze.