II. CHAPTER TWO

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨 ; act one

───────────

     HOUSE REED HAD PLEDGED THEIR LOYALTY TO HOUSE STARK LONG BEFORE THE CONQUEST, IN THE YEAR 121 AC, IT HAD BEEN NO DIFFERENT. Lady Erena of House Reed would be traveling with Lady Nymeria Stark into the Dragon's den as her new lady-in-waiting. Reluctantly, Bennard Stark had agreed to halt the departure of Nymeria on the order of her elder brother in order for Lady Erena to arrive in Winterfell.

  Once Lady Erena arrived in Winterfell, three days after the death of Lord Rickon Stark, the new Lord Bennard Stark ordered a horse and carriage to whisk Nymeria away.

  "I am sorry I couldn't stall longer, sister." Cregan's voice was the softest it had ever been, his lips were curled in a sad frown as he looked down at Nymeria.

  Nymeria looked up at him, a heavy sigh ringing through her body as she blinked away the hot tears that threatened to burn her eyes, "I will not be alone, brother, I have Kalea and Lady Erena."

  "You should not be leaving Winterfell in the first place, Nymeria." Cregan replied, his tone holding gentleness and frustration, "You are a child."

  "I will not be a child when we meet again, Cregan." Nymeria's heart was heavy as she spoke the cold truth to her older brother, this was the moment Nymeria had always been dreading — the marriage. The pact that had been made by her father and King Viserys, the pact of ice and fire, "And neither will you. When we meet again, you shall be a Lord, and I shall be a wife."

  Cregan didn't speak a word, he simply leaned forward, pressing a soft kiss to the crown of his baby sister's head. The boy had never been one to cry, but in this moment, he could feel his heart squeezing and the salty tears beginning to pour into his eyes. He was supposed to be protecting her, not letting her be shipped off by his uncle. Cregan had promised his mother to protect Nymeria, and yet, he had failed her.

  Nymeria's brows furrowed together when she felt Cregan's hand slip near her hands, slowly dropping a heavy object into her palm. It was tiny enough to fit in her hand without being openly seen, but big enough for her to feel the weight of the item.

  "I shall see you soon, Nymeria."

  "I love you."

  "I love you too." Cregan replied gently, taking a small step backwards with a heavy sigh. Nymeria's face was pulled into a frown as she slowly walked towards the carriage where Kalea and Lady Erena were waiting on her.

  Nymeria's lip wobbled as she took a seat inside of the carriage, the door slammed behind her, but as she looked down into her hand, Nymeria could feel the ghost of a smile washing over her face. A small dagger laid in the palm of her hand, the handle gray, and the metal shining beautifully. On the handle, the Stark house sigil was engraved.