59

It did not take long before they reached the mansion. Once the car came to a stop, Matthias got out first, before holding his arm out for Claudine, who took it as she exited as well. They were then led towards the reception room, where two ladies-in-waiting stood to receive them, alongside his cousin, Riette.

'What if Claudine was mistaken?'

Riette thought as he observed his cousin. One would think he would at least show some bit of concern towards the incident on Leyla, but Matthias remained calm and composed throughout the whole thing.

If Claudine was in fact correct in her assumption about the Duke being enamoured with the orphan, surely there would be some sort of reaction from him seeing Leyla get hurt. He knew he would if it was Claudine.

His cousin wasn't an idiot as well, and was wise enough to cover up the earlier incident and brush it off as something trivial. Still, it was baffling for Riette to see Matthias so indifferent. What were his true feelings towards the girl?

He'd get to the bottom of things, one way or the other. And so they had dinner served early in consideration for Claudine. As quick as it started, so did it end, and she retired early, leaving the two men alone, to head towards Matthias' study.

"To be honest, she looked quite lonely, waiting for your arrival on her own." Riette started, "So I decided to go and give her some bit of cheer when I arrived. I might have teased her some, but I had not expected her to be so afraid and run away."

He eyed Matthias carefully, watching for any subtle hints of emotion as he sat across from the Duke in the study. When there was no change with Matthias, Riette cleared his throat, before languidly leaning back on the chair.

"I'm talking about her, by the way," He clarified, "Miss Leyla Lewellin."

The name spilling out of Riette's mouth as though he was spitting out sand, albeit in mild distaste. Much of what he said was indeed true. He might have gotten a little physical, but he'd only meant to tease her.

"Ah." Matthias hummed, indifferent as ever, but sharp eyes regarding the Marquis in scrutiny. He then let out a low, yet amused chuckle, before sighing at him, looking quite amused by his cousin's antics.

It wasn't the reaction of someone affected by a loved one's near-death experience. It seemed too real to be fake, Riette thought to himself.

"I guess even a womaniser by the likes of Riette von Lindman have their limitations!" teased Matthias, "Imagine that, you, getting rejected by a woman. Such a woman does exist." He declared jovially. Riette couldn't help but chuckle back.

"What? Such slander!" They both laughed at each other before it died down eventually. Matthias' eyes softened a little bit before turning serious.

"Well, it does serve you right." Matthias told him, smoothly opening the silver box on his desk and took out a cigarette. He flipped his lighter to light the end before offering one to Riette, who in turn took one for himself as well.

Both men settled back in their respective chairs, languidly puffing out smoke. Riette continued to regard Matthias carefully, wondering what would happen now. He was mostly convinced by now, after the laugh they shared moments ago, that Matthias could care less about Leyla.

'I can't help but feel sorry for Leyla after all,' Riette thought as they continued to puff smoke, 'To think he'd treat her this pathetically.'

"Not one of my best moments, I'd admit to that." Riette said, sinking further into the comfy chair. He felt as though he and Claudine had made complete fools out of themselves.

('That girl over there, doesn't she resemble the canary Duke Herhardt raises in his bedroom?')

Those were the words Claudine said last summer during one afternoon as she had been looking out the window, still all smiles and hearts filled with light. She had been busy looking at Leyla Lewellin, who had been returning home after a day's work in the garden.