chapter twenty one

Start from the beginning

"Eh, should've tried thinking before ending up on the roof. I mean, he cornered himself." Eddie pointed out, leaning his body against the ladder truck.

Sitting on the step of the truck, Hen sighed, "That there is a whole series of bad life choices culminating in this one unfortunate moment. It'll be tragic if it wasn't so moronic."

"Why don't they just storm the roof? It's not that high. We can give them a ladder." Chimney questioned beside Hen.

All five members of the team were on the benchwarmers of this call watching the scene unfold like the civilians gathered behind the caution tape.

"It's a tactic negotiator's use to drag out the process in order to wear down the suspect." Bobby explained to him.

Josephine chimed in, "Eventually, they hit a breaking point." She mused.

"Or we do." Chimney remarked.

Eyeing the civilian, Hen spoke up. "Ten bucks says he falls right off that roof."

"Says he makes a leap for the tree." Eddie argued, flinging out cash from his pocket. Bobby leaned forward with a questionable look at him. "Come on, the guy's got a least one more bad life choice left in him."

Josephine hummed with uncertainty, tilting her head. "I doubt he's in the headspace to decide for himself. Unless someone hits their breaking point and attempts to push him off but I'm with Hen on this one." She pulled out cash along with Chimney for Hen to collect from them.

There's no accounted time frame when it comes to a hostage negotiation. Three hours passed as the tactical negotiator remained working with the civilian. Meanwhile, the first responders waiting from a couple feet far from the latter ordered pizza, coffee, and dispersed in smaller groups conversing with one another to kill time. All of them hoped the negotiator can convince the man to be willing to come down at some point yet for a man breaking a law it will be tough.

"Christopher is at that age where curiosity plays into mind and more aware of his surroundings. He's a smart kid. There's no other way to get around this. Whatever his reaction turns out to be is normal." Josephine assured Eddie.

The two were having their separate conversation as a few hours passed. Eddie is figuring out the best time to introduce a significant other to your child. Specifically, his former teacher. He didn't put into thought about dating again since Sharon's death. More so, fearing to fall in love again and how Christopher will react because the woman isn't his mother.

He discussed this situation with Athena and Bobby where the Sergeant had been in his shoes. Now, he's trying to gain a different perspective from Josephine.

"So, you're okay having dinner with your mom and her new boyfriend she just dropped on you?" Eddie asked, earning a brow raise from the brunette. He sent a sheepish grin, "Buck might've mentioned that."

"Of course." Josephine rolled her eyes. "If I'm honest, I feel like cancelling on them. I do—I am supportive of my mom's happiness. And it's not like this man is a stranger to me. Even that, it's adjusting to the idea of them together. Kind of hate to say I'm not ready..."

Eddie sympathized with his friend, nodding shortly. "That your mom is in love with someone that isn't your dad?"

Josephine tucked her arms into her body, pursing her lips. "Makes me miss him more than usual."

Shockingly, the negotiation officer barely reached any success with the man on the rooftop. Only angering one person restrained by the caution tape while the rest of the first responders continued to be instructed to remain put.