"Excellent. I'll remember you if I ever need somebody for a suicide mission. Now, your report."

Bending over, the scout hurriedly began drawing lines in the dirt and arranging twigs on the ground in a complex pattern.

"We're here."

Taking up a small twig, the scout jammed it into the earth. Reuben thought it a rather poor representation of the massive mountain fortress of Luntberg Castle with its two rings of walls and high, round towers, but didn't complain. Brevity was more important than exact representation at the moment.

"The Swabian Alps are here." With his finger, the scout drew a zigzag line into the dirt that was probably supposed to be a mountain range, or maybe the footprints of a drunken owl. "And on each side is one arm of the river Neckar. When the Margrave's army approaches, it will have to cross the mountains at this pass, here."

He tapped the ground at the place where it looked to Reuben as if the drunken owl had done a little tap-dance.

"And then he will still have to circumvent the Neckar, because there are no bridges in that area. We will be able to predict quite well which way they're going to come in. Even if they should change their course, I left the two other scouts behind, and they will warn us immediately."

Reuben nodded. "Has the enemy left already?"

"No, Sir. The army is still camped out at Falkenstein Castle."

"You saw it? Saw it with your own eyes?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Is the camp surrounded by palisades?"

"No, Sir."

"So you were able to get a rough count of the enemy's numbers."

The scout swallowed. Sweat beaded his brow. Reuben was no great expert at reading facial expressions, but the scout's proclaimed "fear" in large, bold letters.

"Yes, Sir."

Reuben waited. When nothing came, he growled: "Well?"

"Well what, Sir?"

"Don't be daft, man! What's the size of the enemy's army?"

The scout told him.

Reuben was silent for a moment, and didn't move. Then he slowly reached up and scratched his chin. There was stubble forming on it. He should probably resume the habit of regular shaving, now that he was supposedly a respectable knight again, but he really couldn't see the value of wasting time cutting down hair that didn't do anyone any harm. He would have to cut down more dangerous things soon enough.

"I see," he murmured. "Are you sure about that?"

"Yes, Sir! I counted twice so I wouldn't make any mistakes."

And probably because you hoped you were wrong the first time, Reuben thought.

"How long before they set out for Luntberg, do you think?"

"Not long, Sir. They looked about ready to depart."

"And was that all you have to report?"

"Yes, Sir! I didn't see anything else, Sir. I rode back as fast as I could to deliver my report, just as you ordered me to, Sir. Your wish is my command, Sir!"

"I think you mentioned that before. Now get up and stand straight like a man! You look like a maggot, cowering on the ground like that!"

"Yes, Sir! I am sorry, Sir. It was not my intention to appear like vermin, Sir! I humbly apologize if I offended your eyes, Sir!"