𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎𝐘𝐒

Magsimula sa umpisa

They're going to kill him.

That's the first thought her mind went to. Stomach bubbling at the horrific thought. Coriolanus was not her favorite person in Panem, or the world for that matter, but to think he would be killed for just trying his best at winning the Games was scary. They were all just kids, they didn't deserve to have the weight of the world on their shoulders this young.

They had seen war and famine in their short lifetimes, wasn't that enough?

Within the walls of the Academy, Venus was in a state of agitation. Only the presence of attention through the day was enough to block her mind from the thoughts of Coriolanus. Her peers in the hallway, dinner with her parents, complete strangers who had seen her on the news and told her they were excited to visit Dill, all of these things brought distraction until she returned to the Zoo once more later that evening with the medicine vial in her pocket.

The soft orange glow of the sunset suffused the city as the cool breeze swept away the suffocating heat of the day. Officials had extended the Zoo's hours until nine o'clock, allowing the citizens to see the tributes, but there hadn't been any more media coverage since Venus appeared earlier. She was eager to finally discuss strategy with Dill and hopefully provide her with some aid in the marigold colored medicine.

Venus had never been fond of the Zoo as an institution. Capturing animals that had better chances of surviving on their own in the wild seemed cruel and saddening. Her father always told her it was for their own good, to give them a chance free of predators and to live their lives in peace. To see the Zoo now as a holding cell for The Hunger Games, without the swelling of the crowds, was destroying her spirit.

Her loafers padded down the concrete road. Some of the tributes were huddled in the far corner of the enclosure, heads snapping at her as she walked by. She waved at them in effort to appear friendly. It wasn't their fault they were in this position. Approaching the tip of the enclosure, the rainbow ruffles caught her eye. The songbird sitting down on the floor, looking up at the changing sky that matched the color of her dress.

"Good evening, Lucy Gray." She nodded, greeting the girl out of respect ... no, no it was guilt. For not knowing if Coriolanus would return or not.

The girl jumped up at hearing her name. "H-Hi?" She stammered, never expecting another Academy student to pay her any attention. "You're the girl my mentor was with this morning, right? Venus?"

"Yes." She nodded.

Lucy Gray licked her lips, dirty hands grabbing the bars of the cage. "Forgive me if this is a bit forward, but, do you know if he'll be back soon?"

The girl's face hardened, holding her hands behind her back she took a small step forward. Mere inches from the bar as she studied Lucy Gray. Desperation. It was in her eyes and her tone. They had been separated for only a few hours and already the girl had gone ... feral. Any ounce of kindness she felt for her was gone and she returned to her stoic nature.

"I haven't seen Coryo since this morning. But, I'm sure he's doing everything he can to return to you." She pursed her lips together.

"Nessie!" A boys voice called down the enclosure. To her right, Sejanus was waving his hand to get her attention.

She stepped away from Lucy Gray, watching any hope fall from her lips as she turned them into a small pout. "If you'll excuse me."

Following where her friend was seated, Sejanus was perched at the edge of the cage with a large bag pack beside him. He held what appeared to be a sandwich through the bars, offering it to the tributes within. The pack was visibly overflowing with not only sandwiches but fresh plums as well. For a moment they were all hanging back, but, the sight of the girl with wild curls was enough to put a pep in Venus's step.