Chapter One: The Smell Of Old Ladies and Letters

The beeping and talking around me suffocates me soflty. I know today will be a long day at work. I look at one of the floating TVs, usual news. But today it seemed interesting. A man who was in his 40s, not very good looking was scareaming "The stars! They told me! Then I went to the middle east. The sky! It is crumblling."
Then the news lady came on and said something along the lines that he was arrested. It seemed the man saw smething. I tried to stop thinking of it. There's no way the sky was actualy crumbling.
I press the button to cross the road. BEEP BEEP. Walking to work I groan and sigh, clocking in.
4:00 PM
Working, so mentally tiring. This job. its not great. Fileing reports, hoping one day life will get better.
I feel a tap on my shoulder and hear a soft smooth voice, "Psst. Lorraine. Got the work done?" It was my co-worker Alex, he was a freindly guy. Very feminine eyes, he was taller than me and always smelt like laudry soap and a hint of dirt. I love him a lot but he seems to oblivous to realize. Everyone surrouns him all the time and likes him. Even stray cats!
I tell him yes, getting up streching my arms and clocking out winking at him in a jokely format, then start to walk to the nursing home. My grandmother lives there, I'm unable to take care of her saddly. The building being one floor, it was more lower of a ceiling and it was a pale pink building reading "Rose Resort: Nursing Home" Along the top as a sighn. I walk in with a huge hint of that one old lady smell and roses, looking around at the pale colors all around; almost like they were mimicing the life coming out of the ladys living here. I go up to the desk the lady with a soft smile, blond hair, neat makeup and wearing her uniform.
"Welcom back Lorraine, here to see Sandra?" "Yes." I reply, she gives me the paperwork, I fill it out giving it back to her. She gives me the key, warning me.
"I don't know what has been up with her today, she seems off today"
I open the door, looking at all the artwork on the walls. All the drawings from when she was in her highschool years, and phtos of her and her husband who passed away before I was born, my mom passed away giving birth to me so Dad never knew who he was.
I looked at my grandma. she was up and searching for something knocking things down, the lights were off till we turned them on. The worker tried to calm her down and all she kept saying was "Where is it? Where is he?" in a sad voice. Searching and searching. Till she found a box. She brought it up to me. With the little voice she has left. She says "Open" I open the box to see rows of evenly tied up old letters. The worker looked at me and said "Those are her old letters. From her to her past husband" My grandma grabs one of the stacks. Sitting down not caring about the mess around her. and unties the string. Shakingly grabing one of the letters and opening it. She wispers,
Dear my lovely angel,
I love you more than any world can afford, I cannot wait to see that beautiful face again.
Hear those beautiful words again, I know I'm far from you, but I almsot have my lience. I
am working hard. We will have a home together and kids just like you've always wanted,
I will love you to the end of time. You tiny, silly, perfect girl
Love,
--------"
The name of who it came from was ripped off, she staired at it and cried. Saying over and over "Name. Name. Name. His name. Lorraine whats his name. I miss, miss... miss" she leaned over and fell asleep.
Me and the worker helped getting her in bed and started cleaning, I wisper to the worker. "Is her dimenta gotten worse?" The little girl sighed and looked down. "Yes, shes been like this for weeks. They keep telling me to take those letters from her and throw them away. But I can't make myself do it. I read the letters myself, the name of your grandfather is always been smudged, water damaged or ripped. There so small and cute, some are more stupid than the others but she really loves them." "I see, thank you" I give the lady a 20$ tip and leave, walking to my house I go to bed.