Chapter 32

A/N: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT PLEASE READ!!! (cause ik I rant almost every chapter but this one is actually important pls😭)

Shorter chapter today because exams are next week:⁠-⁠\ I promise they'll get longer once the exams are over!!

Regarding the plot of the book, I'll try to not stray too much from the manga, but I will be making a few minor adjustments because of the way I structured my book before the manga ended.

I'll also be leaning a little away from the source for the next one or two chapters, but we're finally getting closer to the end of the book, which just makes me so happy and proud for some reason!!😌✨✨ Hopefully, I'll be able to update twice a week during the winter holidays, but I'm not sure yet.

Thank you all sm for sticking around; the number of readers has dropped significantly since I last updated two years ago, but the few remaining readers encourage me to keep writing, so I want you to know how much I truly appreciate y'all.

(Also might re-edit the previous chapters again for the millionth time lmao)

Comment and vote! It's exciting to wake up every morning to see notifications from you guys🤭❤️

32. Sweet, Simple Innocence

"How privileged you are,
To be passionately clinging
To what you love;
The forfeit of hope has
Not destroyed you."
- Louise Glück
........ ........ ....... ........ ........

"Grandma told us about what happened."

As soon as you closed the front door of your family's house, Akina's voice could be heard behind you.

"Akina, you scared me," you let out a breath of relief as your heart pounded wildly in your chest. "What did they say?"

"Nothing much. Mom and Dad frowned a little but didn't say anything else."

"Oh... I see."

There was silence as neither of you knew what to say next, eyes fixed on the floor, your younger sister shifting uncomfortably on her feet before clearing her throat.

"I think it's better," Akina's words made your eyes snap up to meet hers. "Grandma and Chiharu agree, too. You...you still love Mikey-nii, don't you?"

After all these years, Akina and Chiharu had continued referring to the blonde as "Mikey-nii". They only dropped it when you and Manjiro started getting more serious out of respect for the older boy, but you noticed how they never referred to him the same way.

"Will you be getting back with Mikey-nii?" A softer, younger voice could be heard from the top of the stairs, making Akina glare at them as said person made their way downstairs.

"Hey, Chiharu, now's not the time for that!" She scolded the younger girl.

"It's okay," you smiled at the (h/c) haired girls," I will, eventually... hopefully, just not now. I have a few things to do before that, so it'll probably take a while but Mikey-nii will be back, I promise."

"That's great!" Chiharu's face beamed happily as she smiled, and you ruffled her hair before taking both their hands and leading them upstairs to their bedroom.

Chiharu went inside to sleep as soon as you came to a stop, but Akina held onto your hand firmly.

"Can I sleep with you tonight?"

And so the two of you sat on your bed, the only light being the moon and nightlight in the corner of the room, Akina looking around uncertainly until she finally found the right words to use to communicate what she wanted to say to you.