23 | THE DESTROYED CAPITOL

ATHENA WALKED OUT in her new attire, she was surprised that she was allowed to join the team on the mission to enter the Capitol, especially after everything she had been through there. But Haymitch and Bellona had been able to convince everyone to let her on, it was clear the young victor had anger and that anger could be used to help capture the Capitol.

The girl now wore a dark combat outfit, holsters covering half of her body which held ammunition, guns and of course a short sword. Her preferred weapon. She walked out with Finnick to greet Katniss, who had snuck out to join them.

"Are you guys with us?" She asked, somewhat happy to see them.

Finnick nodded. "Looks like it."

"That was a short honeymoon." She joked, hugging Finnick and then Athena.

He chuckled. "Yeah, well, I guess we're gonna have to have one in the Capitol. After we take it."

"Gather round." A voice, very familiar to Athena, spoke. Henry walked out beside Boggs and their group following behind. "Squad 451, you're my unit. Lieutenant Jackson is third in command after Boggs. Each one of you is elite in some form of combat. But we are a non-combat unit. So we'll be following days behind the front-Line troops."

Cressida nodded. "You're to be the onscreen faces of the invasion. The Star Squad. It's been decided that you're most effective when seen by the masses."

"So we're not gonna fight?" Gale questioned.

Boggs looked at him. "You'll do whatever you're ordered to do, soldier. It's not your job to ask questions."

"Yes sir."

"Our instructions are to shoot propaganda footage on the battle-scarred streets of the Capitol.  You were handpicked, so to speak, to intimidate their forces." Henry spoke again, his eyes landing on Athena for a moment.

"And inspire surrenders." Cressida added.

Boggs nodded. "Even though we'll be working on abandoned streets miles behind the front lines, I guarantee you, wherever they put us, it will not be safe. This is a war zone. It is likely we will encounter both active pods and Peacekeepers. You're considered high value targets to the Capitol. In the event of capture, you'll be given a nightlock pill. A poison that acts immediately."

Boggs began to hand out the pills as Henry continued to speak. "I've already briefed you on the pods. I remind you, they are on every block. Our unit has been given a Holo. A database that contains a detailed map of the Capitol and a list of every known pod. These pods can trigger anything from bombs to traps to mutts. We cannot move without this device. There's no guarantee that our database is complete. There could be new pods that we're not aware of. Because we don't want the Game makers to know we have this intel, it has self-destruct on it. You flip this switch, say nightlock three times, and it blows itself and everything within a ten-foot radius. Stay within our unit. Even with the Holo, it is likely that new pods have been set. Whatever they contain, they are meant to kill you."

Finnick scoffed lightly. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 76th Hunger Games."

A shiver ran down Athena's spine as she heard Finnick's words. She looked at him, then at everyone else, all holding a sad and somewhat scared look on their faces.

The group soon found themselves walking through the half destroyed Capitol. Athena was careful with her steps so ensure she wouldn't trip as she walked.

"I've never seen this place so empty." Cressida spoke, looking around."

"Just keep your eyes open." Henry glanced between the Holo and his surroundings.

Eventually the Holo began to rapidly beep, indicating a pod was nearby. The group found some cover, they planned to activate the pod from far away so they either had time to run or they just didn't get caught by whatever was in it. Athena watched as Katniss drew an arrow, Cressida filming everything for the Propaganda video. Katniss released the arrow and down came a rain of fire in between two buildings. If they had gone through there, they all would've been burnt to a crisp. 

Deciding to take a break was eventually suggested and gladly taken by the group, they all hid inside a nearby building. Athena talking quietly with Finnick, he was missing Annie and while Athena still had a couple issues with Aeschylus, she missed him. However, their talking died down as the sound of a vehicle driving by was heard.

"Is that Peacekeepers?" Someone asked.

"451 base. We've got a truck coming in from the South. Over." Jackson spoke into her radio, getting a quiet response back. "Copy that, over. Stand down everyone, it's friendly."

Everyone slowly moved out of the building, their weapons in hand just in case. They walked towards the truck as it came to a stop. Athena was surprised when she saw Peeta come out of the back of it, Katniss even drew an arrow as the last time they met, Peeta had tried to kill her. Peeta walked over to them, two guards behind him. 

However, Athena's eyes travelled to another person who had left the truck. Aeschylus. He was dressed in the same attire as them, brandishing a gun and with all of his hair gone. Athena didn't understand why he was there, but she had some happiness inside her that he was there. He moved beside Peeta, as the other guards left them.

Henry, having known what had happened between Peeta and Katniss, spoke to the mumbling boy. "Hold up."

Aeschylus held his hand in front of him and Peeta. "Hey, it's okay."

Peeta paused behind Chy, his head down as he stared at the floor. Henry then told Boggs to cuff the boy, not completely trusting him to not try and kill Katniss again. "Solider, this is just a precaution, till we can get everything straightened out. Yeah?"

Peeta nodded in agreement and made no effort to fight back as Boggs placed the cuffs on. Katniss finally lowered her weapon and the group went back inside the building.

"They want us to add him to the Propo. Show that he's on our side, same with Aeschylus." Henry explained. "We'll move forward a few block tomorrow. And shoot the new footage."

Gale shook his head. "He's out of control. He's not in control of himself."

"I say we schedule an around the clock watch on him." Jackson suggested. The Leegs till 1700, Homes and Mitchell till 1900."

"Give me a watch." Katniss spoke. 

Jackson stared at her. "And if it really came down to it, you think you could shoot him?"

"I wouldn't be killing Peeta. I'd be shooting a Capitol Mutt."

"I'm not sure that kind of comment recommends you for the job, either, soldier."

Henry looked between the two women. "Put her in the rotation, pair her with Athena."

The girl raised her head at the mention of her name, she had been sat with Finnick along with Peeta and Aeschylus. She knew the only reason Henry would put her with Katniss, is because he knew Athena would have to be the one to kill Peeta if he attacked Katniss again.