But Yan Mo was her beloved after all. Her only son had always been frail, and only managed to grow up after countless efforts. This incident had frightened Shen Yi Yao and made her display a rare hint of anger.

"About Mo'er falling into the water...."

Before Shen Yi Yao finished speaking, Concubine Pei started crying mournfully. She wiped her tears with a handkerchief while saying: "Turns out big sis is talking about this matter. The fourth young master falling in was all Hong'er's fault. I asked about it after getting back. It's all Hong'er's fault for not being sensible. How can he fight with his younger brother over a toy? It even caused the fourth young master to accidentally fall into the water."

Concubine Pei was truly too frank, making Shen Yi Yao feel at a loss. She didn't know what to say next. Seeing Concubine Pei's sorrowful appearance, she even started consoling her.

These two women were both part of the Weiyuan Marquis's harem, and their relationship was normally pretty good. They could even be said to be as close as sisters. Of course, this was only Shen Yi Yao's own assumption, and also what those who didn't understand the situation assumed.

Regardless, Yan Yan started laughing.
She was only ten years old but her face revealed an intensely mocking expression. At that instant, her eyes flashed brightly.

She let out a cold sneer: "Concubine Pei is really good with her words, truly downplaying things. An accident due to insensible children fighting over toys? Can the truth be obscured in this manner? Calling you over wasn't to hear you cry, but to ask you questions."

"Third miss...." Concubine Pei revealed a timid expression. She stopped her cries out of fear.
Shen Yi Yao's expression also turned rigid and she let go of Concubine Pei's hand.

Yan Yan couldn't be bothered to care what her mother's reaction was. "Ying'er, Yan'er, Matron Qin. Repeat your words from before."

The same situation was repeated once again. Concubine Pei's expression was slightly rigid, but since she kept wiping her eyes with her handkerchief, it wasn't obvious.

"It wasn't me. I didn't, I didn't push him...." Yan Hong yelled and hopped around on the side.
Concubine Pei turned and hugged Yan Hong, crying loudly: "Madam must see things clearly. The third young master is so young, how could he possibly push the fourth young master. He doesn't have such a wicked heart. You mustn't listen to these servants' nonsense...."

Yan Hong's wet nurse also hurriedly explained: "That's right, madam. You definitely can't listen to their false accusations. This servant was there at the time. The fourth young master fell in by himself. There were so many people around. We can go ask them if you don't believe it."

Shen Yi Yao revealed an awkward expression and said: "Then call those at the scene over."

Apart from Yan Mo's three people, everyone else at the scene belonged to Yan Hong. The four maids along with Yan Hong's wet nurse all said it was the fourth young master who fell in by himself.

Ying'er and Yan'er raised their voices in disagreement and the room grew chaotic.

"What's going on here? What's all the fuss about?"
A woman's voice sounded from the door. White-haired Old Madam Yan walked in with a group of maids and grannies.

The room suddenly fell silent. Concubine Pei let out a cry and threw herself in front of the old madam, "Old madam, you must mediate for the third young master. These servants are falsely accusing him of pushing the fourth young master into the water. The third young master is so obedient and well-behaved, there's no way he would do such a thing...."

Shen Yi Yao also hurriedly stood up. She went to the old madam's side and helped her into the seat of honor.

Old Madam Yan sat down and looked at Yan Hong: "Hong'er, come over to your grandmother."