chapter four

I balanced the tray, striving to deliver what was requested by the customers.

Unfortunately, it was Sunday, and Sunday meant I had to work until four o'clock this afternoon. And this Sunday was especially busy. The only circumstance to going to college in London is having to work and find a decent yet affordable apartment to live in. My inadequate pay didn't quite fit the ratio of my hours, but it was the only job I discovered that didn't involve many skills.

I assumed the only reason why I was hired was because of my looks. I never thought I was very attractive, but my last couple of weeks here seemed to prove me wrong. Male customers and co-workers gave the impression that they took a liking to me, which I found strange. Not in the least did I dress fashionably for work: skinny jeans, converse or boots, a v-neck blouse including a loose ponytail and light makeup was satisfactory. The grotesque yellow and tan plaid apron I was required to wear didn't exactly compliment me, either. But as long as I was capable of paying rent every week, I couldn't complain. Beggars can't be choosers.

I set the tray down on the table top where the customers currently sat. They were regulars; an old couple that came in time after time. Both had an admirable personality, making them my favorites. They seemed to be the only people in London that weren't bitter in the morning. We had taken the consideration to learn each other's names, since I always found myself serving them.

"Hey, Elise, how're you doing today?" I brightly greeted her while transferring the two mugs that contained coffee from the tray to the table. Elise was a beautiful woman, especially for her age. Her oceanic blue eyes gleamed and her angelic, light gray hair flowed gracefully. I cherished her humble and pleasant attitude.

"Oh, Ella!" she smiled. "Long time no see!"

"I know, college has really taken over my life," I sighed. "How have you been?"

"Oh, same old, same old. Embracing my coming along in years with Robert here," she joked. I looked over to Robert, her husband, who gaped out the window beside him, observing everything that went on outside.

"Robert, you old bum, say hi to Ella." He turned to me, aware of my presence. Robert was also a very handsome man. His eyes were a slate gray, and he obtained a full head of white hair. I imagined him when he was younger, girls constantly swooning over him.

"Oh, hello!" he exclaimed.

"Hi, Mr. Penworth." I grinned at his quirky charisma.

"How are you, darling?"

"Hangin' in there," I shrugged.

"Aw, well, you kick arse, Ella, and you'll be fine."

"Thanks, Mr. Penworth," I chuckled. "I gotta go, my boss is gonna kill me if I don't serve these customers."

"Of course. And don't forget to get back to us on going on that trip, alright?" Elise reminded me.

"Will do." I tenderly said goodbye as I cantered back to the counter to receive the next set of goods desired by the customers.

I distinguished my co-worker, Mitch, approaching the counter from the kitchen, gripping three more mugs along with a plate accommodating a full plate of food for me to distribute.

I dramatically exhaled, cheeks puffing with my breath. "I can't catch a break, can I?"

"Only six more hours, Ella," Mitch assured me, entertained by my laziness.

"Oh, that helps," I said sarcastically.

He laughed before departing to the kitchen. I gathered the items on the tray, preparing myself to interact with yet another pungent customer.