Chapter 1

The sound of music filled the empty halls. Classical music, piano more specifically. A beautiful piece, allowing for the expression of her true feelings...

If she could understand them.

The girl was never truly taught how to understand her feelings, only to adopt ones that her father though relevant for her. Her playing reflected those emotions: confidence, pride, arrogance. But to a minor degree. The girl was only eight years old after all, not mature enough to fully grasp what she was feeling or why. All she knew was that her father said this is what a Schnee should feel, so it's what she did her best to feel. Surely her father was just looking out for her, to help her grow. Right? Surely he held her best interests at heart...

Right..?

The young girl's fingers glided gracefully along the keys of the classical piano, meticulously hitting each key with a surprising accuracy. The frosty haired girl was a natural talent for the piano, picking up the skills needed for it almost instantly. Her elder sister was very proud of her, consistently letting her know. Her younger brother held envy, wishing to have her talent. Her father was... Difficult to gauge, but seemed to hold pride, on the surface. And her mother... She just wish she could speak with her mother to find out... If she even knew...

As her piano session was coming to an end, the young girl began thinking of what she wanted to be. It was a very common thing for her to do when she had time alone. Her mother and father ran the most successful Dust mining company within the four kingdoms, her sister was currently training to become a member of the Atlesian military. Due to her sister's choice of career, the responsibility of running the Schnee Dust Company would fall to her, as the next oldest, eligible child. She didn't really know what to think of that, she didn't feel like she'd do well, there was a lot of complicated steps in running a business after all.

After a moment more of playing, the song had ended as gracefully as it had begun. Gently, the young girl lowered the lid of the piano down, covering the keys, protecting them for the next time they would be used. Unfortunately, only she really used it. She found it quite disappointing, as the music that could be made with a piano was mesmerising for her. What she would give to hear a true professional play.

As she was lost in her thoughts, making her way through the halls of her stately home, screams could begun to be heard through them. Worry flooded her, starting to run towards the screams, hearing them get louder. As she did, she heard voices. Furious, vengeful voices.

°"Where is that old bastard?! We'll make him pay for all of the pain he caused our kind!!"

The voice was male, old. The young Schnee guess he was still younger than her father... He had also used a word she had never heard before, so she didn't have any clue on who they were after. She noticed that the voices were coming out from behind a closed door, the door to her father's study. Swallowing her nerves, she crept over, leaning her ear against the door.

°"I-I don't know wh-where the master is! H-He's been out of the-e house all week!"

A terrified female voice responded, apparently being threatened by whomever was inside shouting.

°"That ain't good enough, Human! We came here expecting to find the 'illustrious' Jacque Schnee! So we'd better find out where he is..."

A sharp yelp could be heard from the female in the room.

°"Then there'll be hell to pay!"

The young Schnee's eyes widened, somewhat understanding what these angry people wanted. They wanted to meet her father, and sounded as if they would hurt people because he wasn't there. Which was true, he wasn't there. He was currently on a business trip to some of his Dust mines, visiting the foreman's to make sure operations were running smoothly.