14: A Way To A Prince's Heart

It's been almost a month since the royal matching competition began. The competition continues on with its third event, remaining 20 suitors now. A few either dropped out, for personal reasons, or Bang Chan ended up banishing a couple others from speculation of malicious activity. There was aggression from those who were under speculation which lead to immediate disqualification instead of being thoroughly questioned.

Spiteful behavior will not be tolerated. Especially not when the royal family's safety is the most important thing.

Furthermore, Prince Soobin has announced the next part of the competition. Most of the remaining competitors groaned and complained however, Taehyun was overly excited when he found out what the next event entails.

What is a way to a prince's heart? Food, of course!

To be more precise, Prince Soobin declared a baking competition.

Just as the sparring competition, all the competitors are divided into separate groups. This time, there will be four groups with five people in each one. Otherwise the royal kitchen would be overly crowded and hard to maneuver. Also, baking takes time and effort so it will be held for four days. Not to mention, the Crown Prince can only handle so many desserts at a time.

Everyone competing in the first day has gathered in the royal kitchen with some of the staff that includes Bang Chan, Changbin and a few other guards, some kitchen staff who opt to quietly observe, a nurse on standby in case of injury, and of course Prince Soobin in the presence.

Soobin gave each of the competitors simple baking recipes to follow. However, he has something else planned for a certain someone.

All the suitors currently competing are stationed at their own cooking area throughout the massive kitchen. In the meantime, the kitchen staff assist them in guiding where specific ingredients and supplies are. As they are gathering everything they need to prepare for the upcoming competition, Taehyun becomes bewildered after acknowledging that he hasn't received a recipe yet whereas the others are diligently prepping theirs.

Then the Crown Prince finally approaches Taehyun and greets him with a kind smile, "Taehyun."

Taehyun immediately bows, greeting back, "Hello your highness."

Soobin had noticed Taehyun's confusion from across the room so he cuts to the chase.

"You are an experienced baker so I want to give you a recipe that could potentially challenge you," Soobin said then hands Taehyun a piece of paper.

It's a recipe and Taehyun accepts it with gratitude.

"I'm flattered your highness."

Soobin smiles, "I'm counting on you to make an exceptional impression. Don't let me down!" He winks.

Taehyun was pleasantly surprised. He did not expect the Crown Prince would have such high expectations of him but despite that, he's elated. He'll happily accept the challenge and make a supreme effort to not let him down.

Soobin gave him a recipe that's more complex than the other contestants with purpose, other than the fact he knew Taehyun needed a challenge.

It's March 13. Many do not know that it's someone's birthday today for but Soobin, it's a special day. So Soobin secretly chose Taehyun to bake this specific cake instead of a dessert for himself to taste.

However, he purposely left this little detail out.

As Soobin abides his farewell and wishes him good luck, Taehyun studies the recipe given to him.

Rose Water Cake.

The rose cake contains rose water and dried rose petals that will give the cake a light, beautiful essence of rose.