Promise

Humanity's strongest soldier ensconced himself upon the mat, the glowing embers from the crackling fire-pit mocked his embroidered wounds. Levi hoisted up his right hand to study the absence of his fingers. Elapsing, his cleaved, and bandage swathed hand over the lesions upon his chest.

How could he have left such an opportunity escape? He should've executed him, the moment he had towed him out of his filthy Titan carcass. Levi scampered his unharmed hand through his ebony strands of hair, smothered by his blameworthiness.

The vision in his right-eye had detected the inventor plodding away at the pieces of wrecked wood. If it wasn't for Hanji, Floch and his men would've had his head. Levi had recalled his visions of her horrified reaction to his defeated state.

All he could think of was his wish for her to not do anything stupid, after her fingers had felt the hammering pulse in his neck. He had never anticipated she'd flee by the stream, conscious of the perilousness, to rescue him.

His sky eyes remained on her back, his focus withdrew from her to cache his smile. "Oh... Levi? You're awake?" She found her feet, brushing off the hardening soil on her knees. "Are you hungry?" She trudged over to where the boxes of rations were stored. She fell to her knees, unlocking the lid of the crate, the vegetables had rich colours.

"Potatoes, Carrots or... leeks?" The 14th Commander propped up each vegetable for him to distinguish. "Water." Levi managed to breathe out. "Alright." She hauled herself up onto her feet, unsteadily.

She regretted not getting her needed rest whilst Eren was still in his cell. "Water... where are you?" She scrabbled about for the water-skin bag of drinking water. The migraine from that morning hadn't ceased, she clasped her forehead with a shivery hand.

Laying her copper eyes upon Humanity's Strongest Soldier whom was wounded and in no position to fight. What was she going to do? What would Erwin do? She sunk her teeth into her lip, her lips had bled.

"Oi... Four-Eyes?" Levi's tone had gotten coarser, "Ah, right! Water!" She caught sight of the leather pouch, plucking it out from the heap of disarray. She plunged the mouthpiece of the water-skin bag into his mouth, Levi hacked out the drinking water.

"You..." Levi threw daggers at her hastiness, seizing hold of the pouch, he decided to hydrate himself. "S-Sorry..." Hanji lifted up both of her hands, defeatedly. Levi caught a glimpse of her bloodied lips, he plucked at her chin and towed her towards himself. "Your lips..." The proximity between their faces was little, she felt as his hot breath drew over her lips.

Levering herself away from him, she reddened. "Is it?" She outlined her bleeding lips with her index finger, dazedly. Levi wolfed down at the crisp water. "Levi..." Hanji fixed herself on the mat. Levi polished his dripping lips with his arm, "What do we do...?" Hanji observed as the alight fireplace flared up.

"You're the one with the ideas... Four-Eyes." Levi outstared her, Hanji scratched her head. "There is... an option... to join forces with our enemies... but... I don't know whether they'll comply with-." Hanji unfolded, but was interrupted by the injured man.

"That is what we'll do, then." Levi was approving of her plan. "But-!" Hanji found her feet, "W-What if... they attack us?" Hanji clutched onto her arm as she mumbled the last part of her question. "We have nothing to lose. They have nothing to lose. They'll have to comply... if they don't... it'll be their loss." Levi reasoned.

"So... instead of wrecking up your sudden notions, why don't you enable those ideas of yours to keep at it?" There was suppressed vexation disguised into his rough tone, Hanji had recognised it. She fell to her knees, "You're... right..." Hanji proceeded to hammer away at the blocks of wood.

The racket of her hammer was bought to a standstill. "Levi?" Her voice was hushed, but loud enough for him to hear. "Hm?" Levi circled his sights on her, after his contemplation. Hanji laid her copper eyes on him, Levi was at a loss for words. The flames of the fire-pit continued to flutter, outlining her dark locks in aureate.

She was palisade, the red of her bloodied lips, and there were wisps of gold that billowed in her eyes. "Do you think... we'll survive?" She doubted, her burnt eyes strayed from his unclear ones. "Come here." Levi ordered her, she wandered her way over to him.

Levi enfolded his sinewy arms around her, Hanji gaped at his actions, she buried herself into his scent. Her hand raced through his dark locks, their lips were inches apart. "Levi..." She rustled, "I don't want to leave... this forest." Her hand rested on his back, Levi's lips found hers to her amaze.

His tongue capered with hers, they parted to catch their breaths. "We won't..." His hand clung to her face, "We'll always be in this forest... beyond the walls, within the walls... everywhere is a forest... but... you understand, don't you, Four-Eyes? Where we are found is of greater consequence than where we are astray?" Levi planted a kiss upon her forehead.

"Then... we'll find one another?" Hanji fixed her gaze upon him. "Hm?" Levi studied her features, "We'll find our way back to one another..." She held onto his wrist, intertwined her pinky fingers with his.

"It's a promise." She said under her breath. "It's a promise." Levi pledged. Hanji brightly beamed, rising up onto her feet, enlivened. "Where are you going?" Levi watched as she treaded her way back to her postponed project.