1

"you and me, we used to be together, everyday together, always. i really feel that i'm losing my bestfriend, i can't believe this could be the end," she sang along as loud as she could to the no doubt song blaring from her speakers as she picked the stray clothes from the floor and threw them into her dirty clothes hamper. 

downstairs, in the basement, her older brother moses' "band," as he called it, were pacing back and forth around the room. 

"how the hell are we gonna have a band without a singer?" seth, the drummer, questioned with exaspiration.

"i don't know! but no one else is really trying to help the problem, are they?" moses retorted.

the five boys threw themselves into chairs around the room and sat in silent anger until moses headed for the carpeted staircase.

"i'm going to get water. somebody fucking please get some ideas about this. i have literally no idea what to do, and i'm not the only one in this stupid band." moses trudged up the stairs and into the kitchen of his house, where he found his younger sister of 18, maisie, drinking from a bottle of calypso. she was humming along to the same no doubt song, and that's when it smacked moses so hard in the face he could have fallen over.

"oh my god," he exclaimed. "maisie! this is perfect, why didn't i think of this sooner?" he proceeded to grab his sister's hand, causing her to drop the lid to her drink.

"watch it, i have a glass bottle in my hand! what do you even want?" maisie complained, pulling her arm out of his grasp. she picked the lid from the floor, dusted it off on her t-shirt, and put it back on the bottle that she decided to place on the counter in case her brother decided to do something completely idiotic again.

"okay, so the guys and i have a serious problem. can you help?"

"i'm not going to fuck joey. we've been through this. i don't care how long he's been a virgin, or how nice he is, or how much he wants it, moses."

"no, no, god. just listen. sing that song you were just singing for me really quick."

she scrunched her face up in confusion, but sang the song's chorus anyway to her brother.

"okay, come on." he took her hand again and pulled her down into the basement, where the boys had started arguing. again.

"guys! i figured everything out!"

"did you get water?" calum, the bassist, asked.

"no," moses shook his head, as he honestly had forgotten about the water. "listen. maisie, sing for them."

"we can't have a girl singer, dude, that's some pussy shit." the keyboardist, eric, said.

maisie shot him a glare that should have turned him to stone. "are you fucking dumb? this is not 1952, i can do whatever you can, and if we're talking about singing, i can do it way better."

"prove it."

maisie belted out in the song for the third time, and she smirked as she saw the jaws of the boys drop. 

"okay, so that was actually really hot," seth admitted, his face a bit flustered.

"yeah," joey agreed, nodding his head fiercely. he'd harbored a crush on maisie for a while, which everyone knew about, and he really just wanted to do whatever possible to make her like him.

"so, like i said," moses began, "i solved our problem. who cares if she's a girl? she's talented as hell."

"and she's hot, too," calum added. "hot girls make bands look more appealing. and if she wears some tight little shorts and some red lipstick. damn. we'd probably make it big."

"can i not just be appreciated for my talent? oh my god." maisie wailed.

moses punched her shoulder. "just shut up. so, does everyone else agree we really need maisie?"

each of the boys nodded quickly, and moses grinned, feeling proud of himself for coming up with the idea.

"okay, well what's in it for me?" maisie asked. "i don't need this, why should i?"

"don't you want to be famous? sing onstage in front of people who are all singing along with you, looking up at you and just wishing that they could live your life?" eric replied, standing from his seat and approaching the girl.

"you guys are playing in a basement in seattle. this is hardly fame." she scoffed.

"seattle is basically the mecca of rock. do you not remember the seattle underground grudge scene?"

"i don't see you guys in that scene though."

"we could get there with you, maisie!" moses cried. "please? do it for me. you know how much i want this. and you have the kind of talent we really are looking for."

maisie sighed. "do you guys have songs written or do you wanna look at some of the stuff i've done?"

"you write?" calum asked.

she nodded. "yeah."

"me, too. i write most of the stuff we have now. i mean, none of it has words, really. but the music is there."

"all i have are words. maybe we could combine them or something?" she suggested.

"that's a really good idea."

"does that mean you're in?" seth looked to maisie, as did the other boys, with a glimmer of hope in their eyes.

"sure, whatever."

***

hello friends i have started yet another story