New me

Other than my eyes, my now long and healthy black wavy hair was the biggest change in comparison to the old me. I used to have brown hair that fell just above my shoulders with straight bangs and no volume or texture, straight boring and forgettable just like I am. My face now was unmarked by the sun-kisses which some used to envy in my job but I preferred the unblemished skins appearance, when combined the various features of my new face made for a cute and lovable appearance that matched the youthful body. As I stared at my new self, I couldn't help feeling as if I used to be ugly.

I'd used to be satisfied with my looks, my brown hair had made me slightly unique amongst my relatives without being labelled weird in school, my dark eyes had always been a sorce of insecurity amongst my peers in school and as I got older my eyes lost their spark as I lost my energy towards my daily life but when I'd gotten glasses as my eyes became near-sighted my inferiority complex around my eyes disappeared and I became content with my plain appearance. Yet looking at the gorgeous girl who appeared to now be me, I began to wonder if this was a dream and that subconsciously, I felt ugly and wanted to be an adorable girl rather than a boring woman about to enter her 30's.

Annoyed by my negative thoughts, I stuck my hands into my hair and messed it up further. It had already been messy as the hair was tussled by sleep but now it no longer looked acceptable to be seen the passable style before suitable for a quick trip to the local shop was now closer to resembling a lions mane and so I decided to clean myself up. Regardless of why I was now a pretty young girl, I couldn't stay in this bedroom all day. I'd need to figure out my current situation. Gently searching through the vanity draws, I found a hairbrush and ran it through my static charged hair to difuse the volume and tame it back to an acceptable standard. It didn't take long before the hair was neatly brushed, and I decided to braid some of my hair into a crown and add two flower clips to my hair creating a cute updo that I felt fit my new face well.

Then I finally got up, having decided to get ready to face whatever the day would throw at me. I managed to find a closet I'd previously missed, and inside I, I located clothes. Unsure what I might end up doing today and noting the lack of any obvious uniform, I figured I must've finished school and didn't work in a uniformed position so I dressed in a way that was arguably business casual with a white shirt below a navy sweater vest and black dress trousers. I tucked everything into the trousers and found a pair of plain white trainers to slip on. Finally dressed I looked for my phone. No matter what, a phone has a lot of information that I think will be useful in figuring out my current predicament. If it's a dream, the phone will be scrambled, and I'll know it's a dream. If this isn't a dream, it'll allow me to gather information to figure out what it is.

As I searched the room for my phone, my mind began to wander. Trying to reason over what may have happened here, the terms isekai and transmigration kept fluttering to the front of my mind. Was it possible that someone as boring and normal as me could have experienced something so novel and unlikely?

Before long, the phone was found and lay comfortably in my palm. Gently turning the phone on it unlocked through fingerprint recognition. The first thing to light up the screen was a social media page that belonged to the appearance I now held. The account was registered under the same name, Carol, but the age was much younger than I had been yesterday. A mere 19 years of age, a fresh graduate of the police academy due to start my internship today! Upon reading over the information the account provided me, I realised two things almost simultaneously: first, I was late! Second, I was the forgotten cannon fodder from the novel I'd just finished reading!

Checking the time and the distance from my home to the internship, I bolted out the door, I had 10 minutes to make it 20 minutes down the road, so every second counted! In my haste, I cut through an alleyway instead of crossing the busy road. However, as a result, I encountered someone who chilled my heart as soon as I layed eyes on them.

It was the man responsible for Carol death. Now I realised what had happened, I had transmigrated into the Carol from my book and I'd appeared again the exact point in time where the villian killed Carol, or now, me... fuck.

As my eyes met his the sound of footsteps quickly approaching echoed through the alleyway and before I could process what was going on I'd been pulled into the villian's arms and I could feel a cold, hard object against the side of my head, just above my right ear. I didn't have to think too hard to know it was his gun. Panic flooded my mind as I saw the stupid protagonist finally reach me, I refused to die here!

"Stop where you stand! Don't take another step forward, or I'll blow her brains out right now!" The villian threatened with a cold voice that tickled my ears.

However, I refused to be distracted at this moment as I knew he was telling the truth. The protagonist, a younger officer named Calum, had stopped in place upon hearing the villain speak and seeing me in his arms. As I was paying careful attention, I also noticed the moment he went to open his mouth.