"Better explain yourself," my dad's voice deepened, "You gave my little girl a joint?!" Before I could blink, my dad darted forward, Zack yelped, and he managed to avoid Dad's grasp, running out of sight. He's dead.

"She's now a big girl!" Zack yelled as his feet thudded against the floor, my dad's heavier ones after him.

I giggled then; his plan to reveal one of my wrongs backfired. With that, I disconnected the call and sighed. I did miss them, my dad, especially.

My parents divorced about three years ago. Mom wanted to cut all ties with Dad, but he wanted us to inherit his property, so adjustments had to be made. I never really understood why they divorced, but you can never know what your parents are going through. I'm just glad I was of age and mature; I pretty much saw them drift apart over the years.

Zack and I kept a healthy relationship with Dad, just talking once or twice a month. She was never really there anyway, with me away in boarding school. I can't say I had a close bond with her.

I headed downstairs for some late-night dinner, eventually warming up on the couch for a late-night movie with crisps and soda. Sheila and Melanie, my besties, came over sometimes, but now they have boyfriends. We used to be the three of us during outings or shopping sprees. Now it's five. I was the extra, it sucks, but I've got to be there for my friend.

As planned, I found myself at Melanie's place the next morning, greeted by abundant exotic trees with pink, orange, and purple leaves. The pastel pink mansion soon came into view, and I was ushered in by maids standing beside the grand double glass doors.

"Welcome, Miss. Thorne," one of them greeted, taking my coat before leading me inside. There, racing down the stairs, was my dear best friend, ready to envelop me in one of her signature hugs.

"Hey, babe," she cooed in my ear, raven hair tickling my face, and she rubbed my back. "What's up?" She led me to her floor, an entire section of the house with a kitchen, living room, bedroom, and a small library. I loved her place; it felt like a home within a home.

My joy dimmed as I noticed the presence of the others-Melanie, my other bestie, and their boyfriends. I had to fake happiness while being pushed aside. Sheila dropped onto Joel's lap, disrupting my expectations of a girl's day.

"If I knew your boys were here, I wouldn't have come," I remarked, folding my arms.

"Yeah, that's why we didn't tell you," Mel giggled as her boyfriend nuzzled into her neck. I rolled my eyes.

"We're going to the club tonight," Lanie announced, and I groaned internally. "And you're coming."

"I have no dress," I complained.

"You do, A, come with me," Lanie insisted, leading me to her room. "It might not be your type, but you'll look good."

As she showed me the dress and shoes, she explained her plans for a girl's day, sensing my need for some female bonding. "It better be a good day, then," I remarked.

The day unfolded with typical girl activities, hairdos, makeup hunting, lingerie shopping, and arguing about outfits. Despite my initial reluctance, I found myself enjoying the camaraderie.

The chosen dress was a black mini with thin straps, a plunging neckline, and daring slits on both sides. Lanie whistled her approval, appreciating my departure from the usual sweats and pants. If my dad or Zack saw me, they'd have a fit, but as a recent graduate, I felt ready to embrace a more daring style.

I laced up silver block-heeled sandals and declared, "Let's go, ladies," grabbing the keys from Sheila.

"Adeline, I don't think you should drive," Sheila protested, but I was already at the wheel. The car was ready, and as the two girls yelled directions, I acknowledged my questionable driving skills-a miracle I hadn't caused an accident.