There was nothing written on the papers; no signature, no seal.

"May I take this to mean permission has been denied?" Rikuson asked.

"Yes. Necessary it may be, but there are several more important jobs. We must have our priorities."

Well. He couldn't be much more clear than that. The corners of Rikuson's mouth raised and he put the papers in a drawer.

"There's one other thing," the man said.

"Yes?"

"Master Gyoku-ou is asking for you. Not immediately—he suggests getting together for tea when you're done with your morning assignments. If you would be so kind?"

Although phrased as an invitation, Rikuson was not at liberty to refuse. Instead he said, "But of course. I should come to the open-air pavilion in the central courtyard before the afternoon bell rings, yes?"

"That's right."

Then, with no further evident interest, the bureaucrat left the office.

The pavilion was where Gyoku-ou always liked to have his tea. It was the coolest place available, right beside the oasis. Rikuson could have guessed: bug-repelling incense was burned there all morning whenever there was going to be tea.

This man Gyoku-ou was by no means incompetent. He had received an education befitting the son of a man of influence, and even Rikuson could sense a genuine desire—perhaps inherited from his merchant father—to make the western capital a more prosperous place. Gyoku-ou possessed an almost unchecked ambition; it had been in his eyes when he was young, and remained there now.

With such ambition came an element of danger.

"Is this within my jurisdiction as well?" Rikuson asked the empty office. He was often there alone, and found he had taken to talking to himself. "Much as I'd appreciate a few more acquaintances..."

Remembering people's faces wasn't just a unique ability Rikuson possessed; it was also his hobby. Having a perfect memory for every face you saw meant it got boring seeing the same people over and over.

Among the paperwork he found bills for silks, gems, and other luxury accoutrements. They were far cheaper here in a trade nexus than they were in the Imperial capital, but he still goggled at the prices. He knew very well what these resources were being used on. Just after he had arrived in the west, Rikuson had crossed paths with a young woman. She was perhaps fifteen or sixteen years old, and seemed much like Empress Gyokuyou.

When Rikuson had inquired with the bureaucrat showing him around, he'd been told that she was Gyoku-ou's daughter. The bureaucrat had added in a mutter that they didn't look much alike—but he'd been wise enough to leave it at that.

"Ambitious... Yes, he is that."

Rikuson no longer saw the young woman anywhere. She had probably been on her way to the capital for days now.

He felt the corners of his mouth lift up again, and then he went back to his work, the quill rushing over the pages once more.

Other than his tanned skin, the honorable personage across from Rikuson didn't look much like someone from the western capital. He had a rich, dark beard, and other than some uncommonly deep wrinkles, he could have passed for a perfectly ordinary person from Li. His straight hair framed a round face; he was slimmer than the average inhabitant of the western capital, but toned and muscular.

This was, needless to say, Gyoku-ou. If the father, Gyokuen, looked like a friendly merchant, the son looked like a warrior. He was somewhere in his forties, but he looked at least ten years younger than that, here among the inhabitants of the western capital, where it was so easy to get a paunch. His perfect, white teeth probably helped him make a good impression.