Kada's Book (Part 2)

Maomao and Yao had been scouring the bookshelves for a while when En'en returned. "Food's ready!" she said. She'd brought a nice, hot meal. A small man followed behind her, carrying what she couldn't hold. The annex had a kitchen of its own, but for serious cooking, she must have borrowed the kitchen in the main house.

They moved from the library to a living area, where the meal was placed on a table.

"My apologies for intruding on your afternoon. Thank you for inviting me," said Lahan with a smile. He showed no sign of actual contrition.

No one invited you! On this one point, Maomao and En'en were in perfect accord. Lahan had, however, brought a gift. Maomao didn't know how he had figured it out, but he'd brought hasma—Yao's favorite. He must have pulled a few strings.

Incidentally, whenever Yao tried to ask about what it was, En'en dissembled. It seemed the young mistress still didn't know that her favorite snack was made of frogs.

Lahan really must have raked it in at the Go tournament. Plus he seemed to be into some sort of business involving sweet potatoes, and had other hustles besides. It seemed like enough work for several of him, yet he somehow kept all the plates spinning. That much, she had to give him.

"I'm so happy to have all these lovely flowers around me as I eat. A rose, an iris...and wood sorrel." He didn't have to explain who that last one was.

"It's a little early, but why don't we eat?" Yao said, gesturing at the food on the round table. There were four chairs around it, and they sat with Yao facing En'en and Maomao facing Lahan. That put a "flower" at each hand for Lahan, but every time he looked up and saw Maomao, he looked vaguely annoyed. Frankly, Maomao could barely restrain a derisive snort herself.

In the center of the table, glistening with its own juices, was the main dish: a whole roast duck. Maomao found herself swallowing heavily. If it was as good as it looked, then by the end of this meal, Yao wouldn't be the only fan of this dish.

Lahan's eyes were also glimmering. He was still a young man, just twenty-one, and there was so much more to eat in his life.

En'en, observing the scene, stood up from her chair. "I'm going to chop some more vegetables. Maomao, would you help me?"

Did she think they didn't have enough? She looked rather displeased—and well she might be. Here she'd thought she was going to enjoy a little break alone with her mistress, only to find intrusive insects crawling about.

"I'll help too!" Yao said.

En'en, however, was adamant: "You needn't, young mistress. I won't be long. Please, eat up, before it goes cold."

Sigh...

Yao pouted. For all her devotion, En'en had some strange blind spots when it came to the young mistress's feelings. Maybe there was such a thing as being too close to see.

The vegetables were in the next room, a simple kitchen. Maomao wondered to herself if Luomen had prepared medicines here long ago, and smiled at the thought.

"Shall we?" she said. She started mincing some leeks while En'en cooked more flatbread. It didn't take long; the fire in the oven had been left burning for heat. "Are you sure about leaving Yao with tousle-glasses?" Maomao asked. She just wanted to be sure. Even if they were just in the next room, they were still a young man and woman alone together.

"Mister Tousle-glasses wouldn't lay a finger on the young mistress. He would never meddle in her affairs, unless he thought there was a political marriage in the offing. And as long as they're simply going to talk, then he's a better conversationalist than the average oaf. No, I'm not concerned."