{19} THE FORBIDDEN FOREST

Start from the beginning

She directed her question to Dumbledore, who, in fact, had no idea what to say, because he knew she was right.

Remus and Sirius nodded in agreement, expressing their shared concern over the troubling situation.

It is nighttime in the castle grounds, and Hermione, Ron, and Mia are running across to Hagrid's hut. They knock on the door and Hagrid, who is wearing an apron and oven mitts, opens it from the inside.

"Why are you three wandering around when you're supposed to be in your common room?" Snape questioned them with a stern expression.

Mia looked at him incredulously. "You've known us for five years, and you're still asking why we're not following the rules?"

Snape fixed her with a severe glare, his dark eyes drilling into each of them in turn, conveying both disapproval and suspicion. "I don't need to know you for five years to expect basic obedience and respect for the rules," he retorted sharply.

Mia raised an eyebrow, her expression a blend of defiance and amusement. "Well, we've never been inclined to conform, have we?" she remarked wryly, her tone laden with a hint of sarcasm.

Mia: Hagrid!
Hagrid: Oh, hello, sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today. [He begins to close the door]
All three: We know about the Philosopher's Stone! [Hagrid opens the door again]
Hagrid: Oh. [They all come into Hagrid's hut.]
Mia: We think Snape's trying to steal it.

Snape rolled his eyes at the false accusations, tired of repeatedly being unjustly accused of malevolent intentions for something that he was protecting. The weight of their distrust and suspicion had worn on him, and he felt the need to defend his actions once again.

Hagrid: Snape? Blimey, yer not still on about him, are yeh?
Mia: Hagrid, we know he's after the Stone. We just don't know why.
Hagrid: Snape is one of the teachers protecting the Stone. He's not about to steal it.

"What?!" Sirius exclaimed, his eyes widening in disbelief at the unexpected turn of events.

"That was unexpected," Remus remarked, his tone reflecting a mix of surprise and realization.

Severus wore an inscrutable expression, a hint of satisfaction flickering in his eyes at the revelation of the truth, amidst the conflicting emotions and taut atmosphere in the room.

Mia: What?
Hagrid: You heard. Right. Come on, now, I'm a bit preoccupied today.
Mia: Wait a minute. [Ron soon sees Hagrid's boar-hound Fang, who sniffs him.] "One of the teachers?"
Hermione: [whilst sitting in a large chair] Of course! There are other things defending the Stone, aren't there? Spells, enchantments.

"I just realized something," Ron whispered, a tinge of excitement in his voice.

"What?" Mia and Hermione asked simultaneously, their curiosity piqued.

"Quirrell was one of the teachers protecting the stone," Ron said, his eyes widening as the pieces clicked into place in his mind.

Mia stared at him in disbelief, while Hermione rolled her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh. "Seriously, Ron?" she said, her tone laden with a mixture of amusement and frustration.

"What!"

Hagrid: That's right. Waste of bloody time, if yeh ask me. [Hermione looks at Ron, who is still being sniffed in the face by Fang. Finally Ron shuffles away.] Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy. Hehe. Ain't a soul knows how, except for me and Dumbledore. I shouldn't have told you that. I should not have told you that.