05, WAYNE MANOR

CHAPTER 05: WAYNE MANOR

"Hey, stop crying, Wong," Mariane said gently

"I—" Wong sniffled, "I can't help it! You're like my daughter!" With that, he jumped onto Mariane's arm, catching her off-guard, and she awkwardly patted behind the Sorcerer Supreme's back.

It was the day when Mariane had officially travelled to Earth-9 temporarily.

The last visit was different from when she was called for help by Evelynn, as at that moment, she had to leave after assisting Evelynn.

"I've got to go," she announced. Nightwing's frown deepened as Evelynn was physically moved to Damian's side.

"Leaving already?" Nightwing questioned with a hint of disappointment in his voice.

"Yes, Nightwing," Mariane responded pointedly. He scoffed and looked away, seemingly unhappy.

"Just like that, huh? Couldn't you just—"

"Don't push it, Dick," Bruce cut him off, his tone stern. Tension filled the air, with Nightwing glaring at Batman. Eventually, Nightwing let go, his gaze downcast.

"Thank you," Batman's deep voice turned towards Mariane. "Thank you for saving my daughter."

"Well, she's–"

"Would you come back?" Evelynn interrupted Mariane this time. Determination marked the blonde's face, and her broad smile prompted a soft sigh from Mariane.

"Maybe have a cup of hot tea and toast?" Damian suggested with a hint of sarcasm. Despite his tone, tea and toast were among Mariane's favorites, often prepared by Alfred. They used to enjoy them together with Damian and Alfred back in the day.

Mariane couldn't help but grin at Damian. He raised a brow, and a slight smirk appeared on the corner of his lips. He knew she caught the initial sarcasm.

Her gaze shifted towards Nightwing, finding his eyes filled with the same hope as Evelynn's. Before Mariane could respond, a portal suddenly opened behind her. Annoyed, she closed her eyes, knowing Stephen awaited on the other side.

"I have to go," she sighed.

"Wong, don't worry, she'll be here for the holidays," echoed Stephen's voice as he descended the stairs, holding something in his hands. He quickly concealed it when Mariane glanced his way.

Standing before her, Stephen questioned, "You've got everything with you?"

"Yes, Dad."

"Your clothes?"