"It doesn't look very comfortable." I grin, happy to hear that he had endured repeated yelling just to be by my side.

"It's not, but I don't care." Luke says, gently pressing his lips against my forehead. "I have to tell you something, but can you please promise not to be mad?" He mutters after a few seconds, pulling away.

"I can try to not be mad, but, I can't really guarantee anything." I say slowly, eyebrows furrowing.

"Okay, fair enough. Just please hear me out and then after this I'll go get your parents and Lu and Cal and tell them that you're awake." I nod and Luke swallows, looking nervous. "So, do you remember how I wanted to give you something last night?"

"Vaguely, yes." I reply quickly, wanting him to tell me what was going on.

"I...I had that something in my pocket when we went under and the water destroyed it and it's gone." Luke says quietly, so quietly that I can barely hear him.

"What was it, Luke?" I ask, even though I know, I know exactly what he's talking about. He doesn't answer, and I pull my hands away from his, shaking my head. "What was it?" I repeat, louder this time. Luke's eyes shift to the blankets draped over my body to avoid my gaze, and he has yet to answer, but he doesn't have to. My heart sinks inside of my chest as I am hit with the realization of what was going on.

It couldn't be gone. It couldn't be destroyed because if that was gone, then my future was gone. My sole hope at a life worth something, a life where I got to do what I loved, was gone. And it was all his fault.

How could I have let myself get attached to him? This person who had set out to intentionally ruin my chances of following my dreams all for his selfish gain? Who had manipulated me into helping him and had blackmailed me all while he held the upper hand. Now that upper hand was gone. Gone. I lost my virginity to him, I trusted him, I honestly believed that I was capable of changing him and making him a better person. I let myself develop feelings for him and for what? So that I could forever lose my one chance at happiness?

All at once I am full of a fiery rage and I know I shouldn't speak because I can feel my face getting red and the tears pooling into my eyes and anything I say is most likely going to come out hysterical and incoherent. But I do anyways.

"Why the fuck were you carrying it around anyways, Luke? That's my life. You literally held my life in your hands and you let it get ruined." I screech, already beginning to cry. This wasn't happening, this wasn't happening, this wasn't happening. He's lying, this is a really bad joke and he still has my entry and my future isn't gone, it can't be gone.

"I already told you, I was going to give it back to you that day. That's why I had it." Luke replies quietly, the volume of his voice barely half of mine. He's not kidding.

"And why would you do that? I know you love having control over me. I know you love manipulating me and ruining my life, so why give that up-" I yell, likely attracting the attention of all nurses and doctors and patients with enough proximity to me before Luke interrupts.

"Because I fucking love you, Kendall! You. Not having control over you or manipulating you or any of the other bullshit that's running through your head. I've said I love you a million times without actually even saying the words until now and you should know that the only reason I kept your story was to keep you." He says through gritted teeth, vein in his neck appearing as he desperately tries to explain through a rage. "You were only with me because I still had it, that's the entire reason all of this started. I thought that it wasn't about that anymore, that you might actually like me, but maybe I was wrong. I actually fell in love with you and I was dumb enough to think that you loved me, too." Luke finishes, jaw clenching as he turns away and storms out of the room, leaving me angry and sad and full of longing and hopelessness all at once.

Seconds after he leaves, my parents come in with Lucy and Calum in tow and they're all grinning and trying to hug me and chattering about everything that has happened in the past thirty hours and how worried they all were and other things that I wasn't really paying attention to.

I would have liked to pay attention, I would have liked to assure them that everything was okay, that I was okay. But I'm not. Nothing is remotely okay right now. My future is in shambles and they keep talking and I nod and smile but my heart isn't in it, because my heart is with the boy who has just walked out of the room.

--------

hope you guys liked this!!! kuke is alive in the physical sense but in the relationship sense hmm idk we shall see?!

THIRD CHAPTER OF THE MICHAEL FIC IS GOING TO GO UP SOON, PLS GO CHECK THAT OUT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY :) xx