𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Start bij het begin

When you're able to peel your glance from the bracelet to look up at him, his own eyes are hooded and shining with an emotion you were beginning to see a lot there. His lips were held in a satisfied, adoring smile and his hands twitch at his sides like it's taking everything in him not to touch you. 

He folds eventually and reaches out, plucking the stunning jewelry from its box so he can drape it over your wrist, finally looking away from you so he can focus on his task. "I don't know if you remember the day as well as I do, but..." He begins, voice soft and quiet; his words meant only for your ears alone. "That day I came to Charleston with you was just about the happiest I'd had in a long time until then. I gave you a rose that day too, if you recall. But, like all things, I fucked it up by being an astronomical ass."

You snort in playful agreement and his smile widens as he finishes clasping the bracelet. His fingertips brush over your wrist, sending goosebumps over your skin, which is just ridiculous to have that after one touch when he'd done far more intimate things to you.

But something about the way he touches you, the reverence there and the admiration in his stunning blue eyes as he returns them to your own gaze... It's more intimate than anything you've shared. It tears open your heart in the most wonderful way and stuffs it full of all the love he feels for you. 

Rafe's expression softens and he takes the box from you, tossing it over his shoulder and stepping closer to take both your hands in his. When he's sure you're paying attention - like you ever lost it to begin with - he continues with that same softness he held before. "I swear, right now, that I won't do anything to fuck this up again. You mean too much to me." He swallows over the admittance and your chest swells to near-bursting. "This rose is a more permanent fixture, and a reminder how many more amazing days like that we'll have together. Without... You know... The asshole behavior."

You laugh, then push up onto your toes to plant a kiss to his lips. His words mean everything. Quell any doubts you might have grown, drown anything negative within you until you're full up of all the light in the world. Because of him.

Corny, yes. But undeniably true. 

Rafe was yours just as much as you were his, and now that you could both have the courage to admit that, everything was perfect. And as it should be. "Thank you." It's the only thing you're able to choke out over the threatening sob of joy in your throat. You swore not to let him ruin your makeup this early in the evening, but fuck, was he making it difficult. And this wasn't even the way you expected him to do it! Ugh.  

"You're welcome, sweetheart." He lifts your hand to press a kiss to your knuckles. "Now come on. We don't want to miss out on all the fun, right?"

"Right."

The restaurant Ward chose was a lavish one the next town over. It boasted some of the finest seafood that the area had to offer and had some of the top chefs in the country working for them. 

So, it was stupidly expensive and would likely have tiny portions that made you crave a massive burger afterwards.

As expected, both Rafe's family and your dad are sat at a private table lit softly with candlelight and a few sconces on the wall. The atmosphere is quiet but decadent, a buzz in the air and you're not sure whether it's just your own excitement oozing out of you. 

Your dads eyes find you both first, a smile forming before his gaze drops to where your hand is joined with Rafe's. He frowns a little and you almost laugh as you watch the cogs turn in his head to figure out what the statement is saying. Almost; because you're too anxious about his reaction to really be amused right now.