Prologue | Spring Changes

School was not her favorite place to be.

Hushed talking behind her back, abundant amounts of gossip, and the stares. The way everyone looked at her— it was soul-shattering. The hordes of teenagers that always lingered in the halls gave her revolted looks. Some leaned to their friends, whispering into their ears— others just moved away, afraid they'd be affected.

Everyone viewed her differently from how they did years ago.

𝐌𝐢𝐝-𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥
𝐖𝐞𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝟐:𝟓𝟓 𝐏𝐌 — 𝐀𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚
𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥

The clock gruesomely teased her as its every move seemed deliberately slower. The coolness of the A.C. seemed to buzz in the eerily quiet atmosphere. Students sat on their phones or chatted with one another. The teacher instructed aimlessly, his presentation falling on deaf ears.

No one really seemed to care.

A (color) haired girl's eyes were fixated outside the window, a glossy, blank expression on her (skin tone) features as she watched the blue sky. A pair of headphones sat on her head while her favorite song played loudly in her ears. She usually paid attention in class but today she was just... out of it.

The girl slowly started to zone out, her eyes blurring harshly as she attempted to refocus; unsuccessfully. She could feel her eyelids grow heavy as her head began to bob up and down. The only thing that brought her out of her weary trace was the blaring sound of the bell.

Freedom.

Every person immediately took their bags and left, cheers of happiness echoing in the class. The teacher sighed aggrievedly as he bid farewell to his rambunctious students, reminding them of their homework due after their extended spring break.

With a tired sigh, she started to pack her belongings, skipping a few songs on her phone in the process. Briefly, she adjusted the mask on the lower half of her face, before slinging her bag over her shoulder. Her messy locks brushed against her skin as she murmured, "Have a good spring break, sir."

The girl's voice was a raspy whisper as she barely spoke during school. Though she never expected a reply from her instructor she always tried to show him some appreciation. He did put up with her class' absurdity after all.

"You as well, Miss (Last Name)," He replied, giving her a subtle yet exhausted smile. Returning the gesture with a jittery nod, she gently shut the door behind her.

Students clamored in the halls as they spoke about their plans for the break. Paying no mind to the useless chatter, she walked right past everyone. As usual, the crowd parted for her, refusing to get close to the mutant girl. Snickers and faint chatter circulated around her, subconsciously causing her to grit her teeth.

It's been six years since the incident. Could people seriously not shut up about it?

(Name) knew that her thoughts wouldn't help. She'd learned that the hard way. Now all she could do was put on a blank, emotionless expression and not care. Pushing away the thoughts she briskly left her high school, not bothering to take another glance at her peers.

𝐌𝐢𝐝-𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥

𝐖𝐞𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝟑:𝟒𝟔 𝐏𝐌 — 𝐀𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐚