Stranded hearts

"So you're a ballerina?" The queen ushered Chaein to the couch in the guest room. Yes the queen had summoned her as soon as she knew of her being discharged from the hospital. And well Chaein had no other option but to comply since it was 'the royalty'.

"Yes queen." She sounded a little nervous.

"Oh you don't have to feel so restless. I mean this must be awkward but you see, when I got to know that you had rejected the crown prince's proposal to follow your dreams, I was so impressed by your courage..."

"...Also your dedication is commendable that despite all the hardships you have never given up on your dream. And I was wondering if you'd like me to become a patron of your art."

Chaein gasped and went, "Thank you but-"

The queen did not let her complete as she continued,
"The royal family is always looking out to help students like you who can be nurtured in a good focusing environment. And the crown prince is a married man, not only that but he'll be the king one day and lead the country. You understand what I mean, right?"

Of course she would, Chaein had been manipulated and manipulative enough to get the gist behind those words. The queen wanted her to step back and retract all her longing for something that clearly wasn't hers.

And who was she to deny, she had been quite hateful and hurt already.

"I understand your highness, you can rest assured that I will not cause the royal family any more nuisance."

The queen smiled generously, admiring Chaein for taking accountability and continued,
"If I could ask one more favour from you, would you mind giving a little interview to a few journalists here?"

Oh, so she had to clear the royalty's name out of everything, that is what was meant by the 'interview', right? Well it couldn't be anything else.

So she did as the queen expected of her, describing that none of the recent events in her life have been directly affected by the crown prince. The queen was happy that she got the statement to save royalty's reputation and Chaein was happy that she could escape the palace finally.

Although her happiness was put to halt as she bumped into Hyunsuk in the hallway.

"Chaein? You're here? Are you alright- I mean when did you-"

"I was invited by the queen."

"Oh I see." Hyunsuk was surprised as he had not known about any of this, well when does he ever know about anything.

Chaein tried to walk away but he stopped her,
"Wait- can you chat for a second?"

She complied with a sigh, of course she couldn't refuse him here.

.

"I don't know what to say now that we're sitting like this...I mean I should probably ask you how you are and-"

"I am going to keep Jihoon in my heart." Chaein interrupted and Hyunsuk turned all his attention to her expression, it only reflected anguish.

"If he ever wants to come back to my life, I'll let him. And I think we've hurt each other too much to become friends, but I know you're a good person."

"It wasn't easy for me either..." Hyunsuk spoke up, mirroring the expression on her face, of dismay.

"I know, that's why don't let him go. Hold on to Jihoon please."

Hyunsuk posed a confused face and Chaein smiled slightly as she grabbed her purse and stood up,
"Thanks, I'll get going now."

He was left speechless, he saw her leaving the room and couldn't comprehend what he felt in that moment. Should he be happy? Had she put an end to their misery, to her own misery?