"Aap ko pata hai Pasha Sahab kaise hain. Unhein har maslay mein Umeed ki galti nazar aati hai. Aap ko yeh baat batane ki kia zaroorat thi that she broke off the engagement? Yeh tou nahi bataya hoga aapne ke meine usse kia kia bola tha..." He spoke in a challenging manner making Niggo look away, confirming his suspicions. His distress was now aimed at what Umeed had to face once his mother left.

"Maa aap..."

He was cut off by the ring of his cellphone. Once he saw it was Haya calling, he picked up immediately, sensing something was wrong.

"Haya?"

"Farjaad bhai..." She was sobbing and his heart picked up pace.

"Kia hua? Is everything okay? Umeed? Is she okay?" He asked.

"Nahi..woh, Umeed's been in an accident"

The moment he heard those words, he couldn't breath. He could feel the earth shake beneath him and his world came to a halt. Hearing Umeed and accident in a single sentence was enough to leave him tongue tied and flabbergasted.

Without a second thought, he rushed outside, barely listening to his mother's worried questions. At that moment, he couldn't register anything, his mind only registering the fact that he could lose the one person that made his life worth living.

He could barely remember how he reached the hospital Haya had told him, while almost getting into an accident himself, twice.

"Umeed? How's she?" He asked, out of breath as he noticed Sameer and Haya standing in the corridor, not even acknowledging Zeenat and Hilal settled on the benches, stressed as well.

Farjaad could not even understand what Sameer was trying to say. He only understood the point that they had to wait for the doctors to say something.

Wait.

Wait to know if his Umeed would make it or not.

Wait to know if he'll ever be able to see that boisterous smile or those sparkling eyes ever again.

Recalling the last time they met when they had argued and Umeed broke off the engagement, he wanted to kill himself at that moment. Was it the last time they talked?

If something happened to her today, he would never be able to forgive himself. Neither would be able to live.

A life without Umeed Pasha was a death sentence for Farjaad Khan Bahadur.

He realised as he slumped against the wall, his bloodshot red eyes stuck on the door in front of him as a tear slipped down his cheek.

***

"It could've been worse but thankfully, she was brought here on time. She is stable now, just unconscious till the effect wears off"

Since only one person could stay with the patient, all of them were convinced that Farjaad should stay because he won't budge. That man looked like he needed to stay here like he needed to breath, as if the moment he walks out of the hospital, he'd collapse.

Farjaad felt as if another life was granted to him by the Almighty. Prayers of gratefulness escaped from his mouth as he looked upwards and smiled through his tears.

"Pasha Sahab kahan hain?" He asked Haya a while later as they were leaving, a little alert to notice an important person missing.

Haya and Sameer exchanged a look, "Kuch hua hai?" Farjaad asked.