Chapter 2

***

20013, 23 years old.

***

The supermarket checkout emitted sharp sounds as the cashier scanned each item. One by one they passed until you found yourself at the end of the conveyor belt with a massive pile of snacks and treats.

The cashier, so young it was almost insulting, looked at your purchase with some disapproval. You imagined he must be wondering what kind of adult would buy all that. You pulled out your wallet with a touch of embarrassment and swiped a card that wasn't yours through the card reader.

"Do you want a bag?" he asked.

You blinked a couple of times.

Of course, you wanted a bag; there was no other way to take all that home. You understood that the question was routine, something he was obligated to ask. Probably, those same words were in the employee manual he was given when he started the job.

The cashier must be a few years younger than you, but not by much if he was already working. He was doing what he had to do, and his gaze was beginning to show signs of fatigue, crushed by routine. He asked the question because it was his duty. He was so young and, if you looked closely, he resembled someone a bit...

"Do you want a bag?" he insisted.

"Yes," you replied, refocusing on the task at hand. "Three, please."

You packed the food and carried the three heavy bags to the parking lot. You arranged them in the trunk of your car before getting in. You checked your mobile phone. It had rung several times while you were walking through the supermarket aisles looking for the items on your shopping list, but you hadn't paid attention until now. You had several new messages in the Shoko and Gojo group, although none seemed urgent. You didn't reply; you would be at her house in a few minutes anyway.

You also had missed calls. One was from a number you didn't have saved, and the rest were from Haru. Quite a few, in fact. You were a little uneasy, thinking something bad might have happened to him, but then you saw his text messages and relaxed. He was just messing around.

You returned the call, and Haru answered cheerfully.

"Finally, you deign to call me," he said, mockingly. "I thought you didn't want to hear from me anymore."

You leaned back in the driver's seat headrest and smiled faintly in the darkness of the parking lot.

"I was busy, sorry. What's up?"

"I just wanted to hear your beautiful voice," he replied. You heard male laughter in the background and attributed it to Haru's friends.

They were a group of college students who always went everywhere in a pack. Haru and his friends always had some plan in the works: studying in the library, playing video games at someone's house, drinking beers at some bar. That's where you had met him, months ago.

You had shared some nights, but nothing more. Haru was handsome and could be fun, but he oscillated between taking your relationship too seriously and treating you like a stranger. So you made sure your relationship didn't go any further.

His friends seemed like kids to you, and you had to admit that Haru was too. But he was handsome, and for what he was good for, you could forgive the rest.

"Haru," your voice sounded like a reprimand.

"It's a joke," he let out a silly laugh and you heard the background noise fade as Haru left the room. "I wanted to know if you're free next Friday night. My parents are going out of town for the weekend, and the house will be empty."