𝐕. 𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐘

❝hangman and me? never gonna happen❞

"𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐀𝐍𝐄." Hangman shook his head as the two wandered to the Hard Deck parking lot, reacting to Harper's plan. Harper could hear the chatter and laughter of the team behind them, still surrounding Bob. They passed Penny, who was sitting at a table outside the Hard Deck, and waved. "We absolutely can't do this."

"You said Operation Set It Up was a go, so now it's go time." Harper urged. The cheering from the team grew fainter as they neared the parking lot. She soaked in the breeze that passed by, cooling her down.

"Never say that again." Hangman cringed but he was hiding a smile.

They arrived at the parking lot. There were a few cars in the lot, mostly the Top Gun graduates. She could see Penny's car farther back in the lot. Harper walked onto the pavement then immediately leapt back on the sand, earning an exasperated look from Hangman.

"What? The pavement is too hot and I don't have my shoes! I'm gonna burn my feet." Harper exclaimed when she saw the look on Hangman's face.

"I can't believe I'm doing this." Hangman sighed, glancing behind him to see if anyone was watching. "Get on my back." He turned around, gesturing for her to hop on.

"Excuse me?"

"I said get on my back. You don't have shoes, so this is the best option." Hangman looked as thrilled about this as Harper did.

She reluctantly walked over to him, placing her hands on his shoulders and hopping on his back. This was humiliating. She looped her arms around his neck as he grabbed her thighs, hoisting her up.

"Ew you're sweaty." Harper cringed, earning a laugh from Hangman. He was also warm. They walked to the back of the parking lot, stopping in front of Penny's car.

"Can I ask you something?" Harper blurted. Hangman set her down on the pavement with shade, hands sliding from her thighs.

"Do I have a choice?" Hangman sighed as Harper glanced around at the parking lot. It was empty. She could still hear the faint laughter of the aviators on the beach. She popped open the hood to Penny's car.

"Nope. Are you gonna apologize, for yesterday with Rooster I mean?" Harper hesitantly asked, focusing her gaze on the engine in front of her. She scanned for the lead from the spark plug.

There was silence for a moment. "It was a dick move, I'll admit." Hangman sighed. She couldn't see his expression, her back turned to him.

"Wow, Hangman admitting hes wrong. That's a start." She smiled to herself, ignoring the sarcastic laugh from him. Scanning the engine, she found the lead and removed it.

"What'd you do?" Hangman's confused gaze focused on her eager smile. He looked slightly scared. She couldn't help but giggle at his expression.

"I removed the lead, it'll disconnect the plug from the spark plug wire and the car won't start. Now Penny will have to get a ride from Maverick, and hopefully they'll get together." Harper smiled proudly, tucking the lead in her fist. She'd put it back later.

"Operation Set It Up is in motion." She announced, shutting the hood and hopping on his back.

"Oh my god would you stop saying that?" Hangman groaned.

"Nope." Harper smiled. Any chance to get under Hangman's skin had to be taken.

"You know for someone so sunny, you sure are scary." Hangman chuckled, glancing back at her.

"I'll take that as a compliment." Harper smiled brightly. For once, she actually might be enjoying Hangman's company.

Once they were off the pavement of the parking lot, he dropped her on her ass on the sand and walked back to dogfight football. She couldn't see the smug smile on his face as she cursed at him and shook the sand off.

She took back what she said about enjoying his company, he always managed to ruin it.

When she got back to dogfight football, Phoenix took a place beside her. "Where'd you two go off to?"

"Nowhere, I just went to the bathroom, don't know what he was doing." Harper chuckled, but it was too high pitched. She hoped Phoenix couldn't see through her, she had always sucked at lying.

"Funny, he said he went to the bathroom too." Phoenix smirked. Harper froze slightly, looking away from Phoenix's knowing look.

"Hangman and me? Never gonna happen, besides he's got enough ladies lined up." Harper scoffed. She looked over to see him chatting with Rooster and she couldn't help the softening in her eyes as she realized he might be apologizing, in his own Hangman way.

The whistle blew and the game continued. Hondo even caught the ball Harper threw wildly, running it to the touchdown. Harper and him cheered, high fiving eachother.

"Can you tell who wasn't high school quarterback?" Hangman laughed, making Harper punch him in the shoulder. He clutched his shoulder but continued laughing. Just like that, the rivalry was back in full swing.

When they saw Penny and Maverick leave together on his motorcycle, for the first time without any resentment, they locked eyes and smiled at each other.