ㅤAlex didn't hate female attention. He wasn't disgusted by it but he didn't enjoy it either. He allowed her to adjust the straps of his shirt and retie the string around his chest area, even though it was unnecessary. More than anything, he was interested in how she was going to attempt to pull a reaction from him. He could use a distraction.

ㅤ"That one is pining," Riley remarked.

ㅤAlex flicked a look Riley's way.

ㅤMererid wasn't dissuaded. She smoothed down the front of his shirt once she was done. "Oh, who is she? Your wife?"

ㅤ"I'm not married, no," Alex denied.

ㅤ"Then..." she leaned in closer. She smelled nice, like flowers. It reminded Alex of the honey fields James had confessed to him in. "I know a way to make you forget."

ㅤRiley burst into sudden laughter, his shoulders shaking. Mererid growled and glared at him, the moment ruined.

ㅤ"Will you shut up?" she snapped.

ㅤRiley wiped away an imaginary tear. "This is hilarious. Please, keep going."

ㅤShe crossed her arms, leaning back, her concentration in Alex waning. "What's so funny about it? He's handsome, masculine. And he's the son of a duke. We're equals. You can't fault me for being interested."

ㅤ"That's not the funny part," Riley sniggered. "It's funny to see you try so hard for a useless cause, that's all."

ㅤShe frowned. "What are you talking about?"

ㅤRiley addressed Alex this time. "You know, it confused me a little. I wasn't sure until now, but— you don't like women, at all, do you?"

ㅤAlex bristled. He waited for the wave of embarrassment to hit him but... it never arrived. He wasn't thrilled Riley had said it out loud, but he also didn't feel the deep soak of shame that tended to follow such an idea. He was simply... miffed.

ㅤSince when did that happen; since when did he stop obsessing over his image so severely in front of these people? Was it because of the futility of the situation that meant the humiliation didn't stick? Perhaps it was humiliation enough that he'd failed so exceptionally to escape his father's abuse that this issue seemed minor in comparison. He knew he was unusual, deviant, but it suddenly stopped mattering.

ㅤA silent Fletcher finally spoke up at that moment. "Riley, that's not really our business. You shouldn't be announcing things like that."

ㅤ"I'd never seen you interested in women before," Riley went on. "But, even with my cousin. You look bored."

ㅤ"Riley," Fletcher scolded.

ㅤAlex sent Mererid an apologetic smile. She had wide surprised eyes.

ㅤ"Why?" she asked.

ㅤAlex shrugged. "There is no reason. I'm just not."

ㅤ"It makes sense why you were so cagey about it, now," Riley said. "You're strange."

ㅤ"This isn't up for discussion."

ㅤMererid gasped and then pointed between Alex and Riley. "Then, are you two...?"

ㅤThey both groaned simultaneously, repulsed by such a thought. "Absolutely not."

ㅤYufus clapped his hands together. "It was the yellow one!"

ㅤMererid was intrigued. "Yellow one?"

ㅤ"The one with yellow hair. James."

ㅤ"James? Is that the sixth guest?" Mererid asked. "Who is he? Father seems weird about him."