Chapter 6: Military Dogs

Start from the beginning

He was a nice man, wise and reliable. He was about twenty-eight, you believed, still so young to die in the way he would go out, but younger men died out on the battlefield. Despite his young age, he looked quite older. Most of his dark hair and beard had greyed, as well as dark circles and prominent facial lines. You would have thought he was in his late forties.

It was the Curse of Ymir that ultimately made him look that way.

"They're putting the draft into effect," Bernhardt muttered, crossing his arms and looking out his office window. "It's a lottery, and they've already announced the first group of numbers. The men should be getting notices starting tomorrow."

They're that desperate now, then.

The four of you in the room went quiet for a while until Dedrich continued the conversation again.

"Where are they going to deploy the Eldian Unit next?" Bernhardt shrugged to Ded's question.

"Up to Magath in the end if he wants to take them to the south to support efforts there or to split them and send some to Liastria and Eastern Ceanti? No one would blame him if he chose to do either."

The older teen mumbled, pausing to ask, "You said your cousin was in the Eldian Unit, right?"

You gave him an incredulous look, choosing to believe he wasn't stupid to ask that question purposely.

Ded shifted beside you in the chair beside yours, "Yes."

It was a curt response and perhaps one that Bernhardt could not have been all satisfied only receiving, but he was cut off by a knock at the door.

"Come in," Bernhardt called out.

The door opened and revealed a familiar blond.

"Sorry to interrupt your little meeting," Volker said, eyeing the three of you, "but the captain wants to see Amsel."

You turned to look at Ded, who blinked owlishly before sighing.

"That's right..." he mumbled, standing up from his seat. "He did say he wanted to see me today."

He looked down at you and Yvo, "I'm sorry. I forgot that I already had an engagement with him. You two can go on ahead home. It might take a while."

Yvo waved it off, "We can wait for you."

Ded frowned, "You sure?"

You affirmed by nodding, "Yeah, just go and meet with him. We'll linger around for a while, and if you do take up extra time, I promise we'll head home, alright? Sound good?"

You saw Volker want to roll his eyes at your assurance but ignored him in favor of seeing Ded's reaction.

He looked reluctant to accept your terms but gave in and smiled appreciatively. "That does, thank you. I'll hopefully see you later then."

He excused himself from the three of you and then Volker before leaving. The blond still stuck by the door, making you believe he wanted to talk to Bernhardt, and who were you to refuse him to kiss his ass and shine his boots.

"Well, we talked about what I was concerned about..." you got up and tapped Yvo's leg to alert him to do the same. "You can keep the paper to read up on for amusement, but we'll take our leave now."

Bernhardt grunted, "Alright. I'll see you when I see you. Keep an eye on Amsel, alright? I don't know if I put him in a depressing mood or not with my question."

You waved him away, reaching the door first and avoiding catching Volker's gaze.

"Yeah, I will."

You waited for Yvo to exit and the door to close so you could grunt, giving the door the evil eye before walking away. Yvo looked amused by your behavior, saying nothing, but his face said it all.