33. My Old Friend.

What? Another update? So soon? Who is this person?? 

Hiya Kids, 

I'm not too mad at this chapter. Please let me know what you think. I hope you like it. 

Happy reading!

---

KANE

I watched Eric drag her by the hair as I struggled against the rope to no avail.

"Don't fuss Kid, you know you ain't going anywhere," Grubb said.

"I told you, you could do whatever you wanted to me. Just let her go. She has no place in this. Please." I was not above begging. Not when she was no longer in my sight. Panic bubbled in my chest.

"See, I agree with you. She was never part of my plan. And honestly, I couldn't give less of a shit about her or whether she's in your life or not. I have no business with her. But that psycho does. So what happens to her is up to him."

I dragged my gaze to him. I took him in. Short, chubby, greasy. The only change was that we were both older. I remembered what it was like. My childhood with Grubb around. He pretended to never even pay attention to me until my mother died. Not until I stole his money. Not overtly at least. But I was aware of him. I had watched him. He was the one who spent the most amount of time around my mother.

Sometimes I wondered if it was even the money that really had him chasing me down. He had hated me far before that.

"Why?" I asked him. He quirked a dark, bushy eyebrow at me. "I doubt you've chased down anyone else like this. And I've more than paid for my theft. Not only with how you cut me up but the clusterfuck my life was thereafter because of how you mutilated my face."

Grubb chuckled. "Come now, mutilated is a bit much. Though you could have done without the extra one you'll have now thanks to Psycho."

The cut burned when he mentioned it. Another to the list. I was resigned to death, so it didn't matter. But now...with Sage trapped with Eric, I had to get out of there.

"You disfigured me. I was all of seven." I said, lowly. Grubb ran his tongue over his teeth and shrugged.

"You knew what you were getting into." He said.

"You think she would ever forgive you?" I asked and when he froze, every suspicion I had as a kid was suddenly confirmed.

His eyes narrowed at me. "What did you just say?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes, ignoring the pain the action caused. "Come on, you really think I didn't notice? Do you think I didn't notice how your eyes lingered on her? How you held her hair when she was throwing up. How you tried to get her off the drugs. How every time you stormed out saying you were done, you always came back. You never tried to get any closer to her because you knew the only man she would ever love was my dad. You sat on the sidelines and loved her while she whored herself out for money and pumped herself with as much cocaine and whatever else it would take to bring herself to do it. There was nothing but the shell of a woman and you loved that shell."

His fists were clenched.

"So you know how it feels then. To watch helplessly as the woman you love is within touching distance but you can't save her." Tears burned my eyes. Sage.

His eyes flickered to me.

"You know what that desperation is like." I urged. 

"Why would I do anything for you? My regard for your mother was for her alone. Not for her runt."