Chapter 2: Trouble Formenting

Începe de la început

However, other small countries bordering the Great Jura forest couldn't afford to do the same.

There's no point in asking someone's help, as they must come up with countermeasures by themselves...

The kings and ministers in each country held emergency conferences every day about information gathering and countermeasures for hereafter.

One minister of the small country Burmund, Baron Velyard was one of them.

"There's one reason why I called you. Have you heard the matter about the "Storm Dragon Veldora"?"

Asking without changing his attitude, Baron Velyard asks the man who entered the room.

Although his stature is short, he was a man with watchful eyes.

"Of course, Baron."

The man affirmed without any small word.

With a deep hoarse voice

"Hmm. 'As expected for a guild master!' or should I say so?"

Baron Velyard snorted and continued as if spitting out words

"So, What kind of measures the guild will take?"

"Nothing in particular, there's no plan to do anything."

"What? I didn't hear it well but... Does that mean you have no intention for any countermeasures?"

"Yes. I don't feel there's any need for that."

The man who was called the Guild Master, answers indifferently.

With an expression like he didn't understand why Baron Velyard was mad.

Baron Velyard continued his words without revealing it on his face though he thinks such attitude is unpleasant.

Although it could hardly be said that his effort was completely successful...

"Saying there's no need is strange. With the disappearance of the "Storm Dragon Veldora", the monsters would surely more active! And yet, you are not taken any countermeasures!?"

"This is a weird thing you have said. It's the country's job to think about countermeasures. We of the Freedom Association, aren't volunteers you know?"

It was a fact.

Freedom Association is a guild that's not bound by country's system. Compared to the workers affiliated with the country, their livelihood wasn't guaranteed.

However, a minimum social position was guaranteed, they were given status proportionate to a citizen. Therefore, they were only imposed with an obligation of a fixed tax.

For example, taking a cook as the example,

A cook who belongs to the country has an obligation to pay tax corresponds to their position as a citizen. In return, the country guarantees their property and status.As for a cook of Freedom Association, the tax they need to pay becomes cheap as they're given a semi-citizen position.

The tax is paid to the Freedom Association, and the Freedom Association guarantees their identity.

However, they need to protect the safety of their property and life themselves. A country affiliated cook is permitted to open a store in the capital protected by the city walls, and they could let their child inherit the store.

The cook affiliated with the Freedom Association has no such privilege, they can only set up a shop at the free market or so around the country.

For example, even if they set up a store in the outer area of the city walls, their child can't inherit it.