Howl!

"Mon ta mi..," I muttered under my breath as I stared at the image in the mirror before me.

My dark burnished amber hair looked surprisingly black in this lighting. But it was really the glow from the green silk that was draped across my thin frame that leant the unusual hue to my hair.

I studied the corsetted waist and ballooning skirts that have hips that could no doubt lay a dinosaur if it were possible to do so.

"It will have to do," I muttered feebly as I studied my reflection.

"Do? You look marvellous Princess Sofia. Beautiful!" Exclaimed my very own personal dresser, Madam Cehr du Blonc. I turned wary eyes her way knowing full well she was doing it too brown. I did not look beautiful. Beautiful was the man I was hoping this dress would impress. It was a shame really that the Prince Alvac would rich as well as handsome. Had he been one or the other this would be more palatable. Preferance being for his money over his looks. I need his fortune more than anything.

It was why I was standing here stuffed into a bodice that rendered my already skinny waist all but invisible.

I looked excessively silly. Like a china doll. Dainty and fragile.

In no way did I look like I have been the sole monarch of this nation for  almost a decade now. In no way did I look like these frail shoulders had withstood the burden of war, draught, famine and sickness that had swept these lands. My lands. But most importantly this dress covered up the very worst. I in no way looked my true worth. And that was one of a pauper.

The kingdom I ruled was dirt poor. And it wouldn't be far fetched to say that I was the poorest of the lot.

But Prince Alvac would take care of that. Just as soon as I convinced him to accept my proposal and my hand in marriage.