{18} MIRROR OF ERASED

Start from the beginning

Seamus, glancing at Dean with a smirk, added, "It's like they've got a seventh sense for secrets."

It is now Christmas at Hogwarts, with snow falling. Hagrid is dragging a massive Christmas tree to the castle. Hermione walks to the Great Hall entrance with her luggage and wearing a scarf as the ghosts are singing Christmas songs.

Mia looked out at the screen, taking in the breathtaking sight of snow falling gently over the Hogwarts grounds. The wintry scene never failed to captivate her, especially during the Christmas season, when the castle was adorned with festive decorations and the warmth of the holiday spirit.

"So beautiful," Mia breathed in wonder, her eyes shining with appreciation as she watched the snowflakes swirling in the air.

Luna smiled at Mia's reaction. "It's one of my favorite things about Hogwarts at this time of year. The whole place just feels so magical, doesn't it?"

Ghosts: Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas. Ring the Hogwart bell. Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas... [Hermione looks from the massive Christmas tree as Flitwick uses his wand to put another ornament on the tree to Mia and Ron as they play Chess and walks towards them.]

"I've never seen anyone play Wizard's chess before." A first year student said.

Ron turned to the first-year student with a friendly smile. "You've never seen Wizard's chess? Well, we'll have to introduce you to the game then! It's a lot of fun, though you might want to make sure your chess pieces are in good spirits before you start."

The first-year nodded eagerly, his curiosity piqued by the prospect of learning the intricacies of the game from a group of older students. "I'd love to learn! It sounds exciting," he replied, his eyes widening with anticipation.

Mia, who had been silently observing the exchange, spoke up, her voice warm and welcoming. "You should definitely join us sometime. It can get quite intense, but it's an exhilarating experience." She gave the first-year a reassuring smile.

Hermione smiled at them.

Mia: Knight to E5. [The Knight moves to its destination. Hermione walks up behind Mia.]
Ron: [With a smug face] Queen to E5 [Hermione watches as Ron's queen goes over to Mia's knight and whacks the knight with her chair. Ron grins.]
Hermione: [With a shocked face] That's totally barbaric!

The reaction of those who had never witnessed the intensity of a Wizard's chess match was palpable. Gasps and murmurs filled the room as they observed the strategic and at times intense nature of the game. The animated movements of the chess pieces, their battles and sacrifices, showed the uninitiated just how immersive and, to some, even daunting Wizard's chess could be.

Ron: That's wizard's chess. [Looks over to Hermione] I see you've packed.
Hermione: I see you haven't.
Ron: Change of plans, my parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother, Charlie. He's studying dragons there.
Hermione: Good. You can help Mia, then. She's going to go and look in the library for information on Nicholas Flamel.
Ron: We've looked a hundred times!
Hermione: [Leans over on the table closer to Ron and Mia] Not in the restricted section. Happy Christmas. [Hermione leaves Ron and Mia]

Ginny regarded Hermione with a mixture of disbelief and amusement, her expression saying it all. "Did you really tell them to break the rules?" Her tone held a hint of playful accusation, though her raised eyebrows and slight smile betrayed her more lighthearted intentions.

Mia, her eyes wide with a mix of astonishment and amusement, couldn't suppress a small giggle at the unexpected turn of events. "I don't think Hermione meant to, you know, tell us to break rules intentionally."