𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿. ( pretty like this )

Start from the beginning

as they walked to the back yard, matt wondered why laci's dad was being so lenient about letting a boy near laci. she'd told matt that he didn't want her near any boys at all after what happened.

his face subtly contorted with confusion at the sight before him. laci was running around, dressed in fluffy pajama pants, a heavy, knitted sweater, bunny slippers, and clear glasses placed on the bridge of her nose. with a tennis racket in her hands, she sprinted up and down the large backyard.

"laci marie," her father shouted. "someone's here to see you!"

"just a second, daddy!" she squealed as another bird dived down, flinging the tennis racket. "the burrows filled with water from storm, these birds are having a freaking field day!"

timothy placed his hands on his hips, giving matt an apologetic look, "now would be great, sweetie!"

"okay—no, no!" laci took a stick and threw it, the birds flying away in fear. she tucked a loose curl that had fallen from her messy bun behind her ear and made her way over to her father. right...i said curl. she'd showered not too long before, but she didn't have time to straighten her natural hair like she usually did because the mice were about to be eaten.

laci walked up to her father, smile dropping when she processed who the other person was. "matt!"

"laci," his lips stretched into a smirk at the redness spread across her face. it felt good to be on the other side of the whole blushing thing. "nice form you got there."

"right," she huffed. "thanks."

.

the two of them were now up in laci's room, matt looking around in awe. "why is this exactly how i've pictured your room looking?"

"why are have you pictured my room?"

he froze, "uh—i didn't—that's not-"

laci giggled softly, "it was a joke, loser. you really do need to relax" matt sighed in relief. "what i do wanna know is why you didn't give me a warning for when you were coming."

"to be fair...you did say whenever, and the towers are down."

she groaned, falling back onto her bed. "okay, but now you're here and i look like this."

matt gave her a strange look, "like what?"

"a mess!"

matt cleared his throat, sitting down next to her. "well, if it's any consolation, i think you look pretty like this."

laci sat up with a glare, "you're joking."

he shook his head, "i'm not." she scoffed. "seriously. it makes it seem like you're an actual person and not some princess. besides, the curls, and the freckles, and the glasses just make you even more pretty."

for a split second, matt could have sworn laci's eyes had softened. but she quickly turned away and brought out the studying materials. "so, i guess we have some work to do?"

"yeah," he sighed. "i guess we do." to matt, it didn't matter how long it would take, he was going to get laci to crack

.

the two of them, now sitting on the floor, continued their studying.

"okay, wait—" matt scratched the spot above his eyebrow, "what's an exponent?" he asked, pronouncing it like the beginning of exponential.