5; What is the surprise?

Start from the beginning

"Hm, yeah, I told Maa as well that we're not marrying her without her wish", he replied, sipping the tea.

"You did that?", she asked, shocked. She hadn't expected him to take this stand for Maryam.

"Yes", he simply replied.

"Why? Because last I know you were with Maa Begum in getting her married as soon as possible, and even the nikaah was gonna take place when I was not here but Naurez's mother's health couldn't warrant that? What changed?", she asked, genuinely confused.

"I overheard your and Maryam's conversation as I came to pick up my phone which I had left behind.", he replied sheepishly. "I heard Maryam saying she needs time before the marriage. To heal. To be whole. And I couldn't let my sister be married off against her wish after the trauma she had gone through, especially after knowing what she needed."

Meerab looked at him with gratitude. A small sigh escaping her lips as if a big task ahead of her had been completed.

"Tumhe pata hai, tum jab aise kaam karte ho, bohot acche lagte ho", she said with a grin on her lips.

He chuckled, "matlab aapki marzi ke kaam?".

"Haan, kyunki waise to tum par mere hi marzi chalni chahiye, biwi hoon tumhari", she replied cheekily.

He laughed, full blown then and she followed, "Jaisa aap kahe", he agreed.

________

Maa Begum had asked for a meeting in the lobby. Apparently Naurez's mother was asking for date for the nikaah, and Maa Begum needed to give it to her.

Murtasim and Maa Begum were seated on her signature sofa, while Meerab and Maryam sat on the sofa adjacent to it. Anwar was sitting on a chair.

"Maryam, tumhe Naurez se shaadi karni hai ya nahi?", Murtasim asked Maryam.

"Bhai, main woh...", she stumbled, and put her head down.

"Maryam, daro nahi, I am with you, whatever you decide will be the final decision", he assured her.

"Bhai abhi nahi, I just want to focus on myself first, aur mera last year bhi poora nahi hua abhi, I want to finish my studies first", Maryam said, looking at her hands in her lap.

"Nikaah ke baad padhne denge Sabra ne bola hai, Maa begum reminded them, desperation evident in her voice.

"Maa, Maryam jo chahegi wahi hoga, I have promised her that", Murtasim replied. "Maa aap Sabra chachi se keh de nikaah tab hi hoga jab Maryam chahegi, tab tak intezaar kar sakte hai to kar le warna its okay, they can get Naurez married somewhere else".

"Allah khair kare Murtasim, tumhara dimaag to thikane pe hai? Pure khandaan mein baat phail chuki hai", Maa Begum said, scandalised. "Meerab kya hi kaan bhare hai tumne iske".

"Maa Begum I didn't do anything, I didn't have to do anything, aapke bete ko Maryam ki khushi, uska comfort pyara hai, khandaan nahi, that's all".

"Theek hai Maa, hum chalte hai, aap Sabra chachi se baat kar le, main Naurez se kar lunga". He said as he got up and went out of there. Meerab quickly got up and followed him.

_________

"Murtasim thank you, finally ab sab kuch theek ho raha hai Maryam ke liye, warna wo bohot royi mere saamne", Meerab said looking sideways at him as they walked towards their room.

"Ye tumhari wajah se hua hai Meerab, agar tum na hoti to shayad main nahi samajh paata uska point of view", Murtasim said and Meerab blushed at his compliment.

"I just wanted things to go right for her. To go right for a girl once in this family. And I am happy it did." she replied, the longing in her voice not going unnoticed by Murtasim and it sent a pang down his chest.