Chapter Three

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This Chapter will contain a small flashback to the time before Brennan enters Basgiath, hope y'all like it. Also, no spoilers in the comments please, we are looking out for people here that hasn't finished fourth wing entirely yet. Your comments are appreciated! Thank you everyone!

There's a misconception that it's kill or be killed in the Riders Quadrant. Riders, as a whole, aren't out to assassinate other cadets...unless there's a shortage of dragons that year or a cadet is a liability to their wing. Then things may get...interesting.

-Major Afendra's Guide to the Riders Quadrant
(Unauthorized Edition)

Chapter Three

"We need to talk." I whisper-shouted as I grabbed Dain by his shoulders when he passed by the dragon sculpture I'm hiding at here at the Rotunda.

"What the hell Cat?!" He whisper-shouted as well.

"Shhh, we need to find Violet now." I slapped the back of his head before sneaking off to the dorms to find the girl.

"Is this about the switch earlier?"

"Yes, but we will collect Violet first before I explain. I don't feel like explaining twice." I said as I sighed. "Gods! Why did I let him?? I could have told him no, to fuck off, but no I just have to owe him one! If I see Xaden Riorson smirking at me one more time I will punch him in the fucking face and cut of his cock before burning him alive and throwing his body of the fucking parapet!" I gripped my hair. Dain blinked at my choice of words.

"Hey, hey. Stop it, we'll talk about it later. For now, let's get Violet. We'll decide if your reason is acceptable or not." He grabbed my hands and pulled them off my hair.

"I feel like I already failed helping her survive. I fucking let you - let her - be under Xaden's Wing. I failed her, I failed Brennan." I broke down as we neared the damn dorms.

"Hey, it's fine, it's fine. You can't protect everyone all the time Cat. Plus, I'm with her, I won't let Riorson touch a hair on her head." Dain hugged me as I cried, my quiet sniffles echoing in the bare hallways.

He might be younger, but I knew that he along with the rest of the boys made an unspoken promise to look after the girls when they can. Dain is like a brother to me and my siblings at this point.

"We have to go." I sniffed as I broke the hug and climbed the stairs, pulling myself together.

-FLASHBACK-

"Violet, I'm worried about her." Brennan said.

"Hmm? Why?" I asked as I tended to our aids and help them prepare for the ball. Brennan is entering the academy in a few weeks, this might be the last time I see him in years but I'm spending my time on something else rather than focusing fully on spending time with him. The generals were invited, seeing as it is my grandfather's birthday and he is a high ranking officer before he was given permission to retire.

"I'm worried mom will somehow find a way to drag her to the riders quadrant. Mira's entering in a few years and she's training real hard. I can't help thinking what if mom forces her to be a rider too."

I remembered what the general used to say, all sorrengails are riders. 'Her husband is a scribe, at least let him have one of his children in the same quadrant as him' I would say to myself.

"She won't. Violet is a scribe, words from the books she's read are basically engraved in her bones at this point. She would be killing her daughter if she does." I replied as I rearranged the roses.