Chapter 27

Since that incident, naging paranoid ako. I swear, it didn't feel like it was just a nightmare. 'Yong babae, 'yong lugar, I can still remember it all, even if I try to divert my attention to Chloe's birthday and Drix' singing contest. Sabi pa nga nila, 'di na daw dapat inaalala ang mga napapanaginipan, but how?

Paano ko kakalimutan kung 'yong mismong lugar, totoo?

Well, this morning, while I was biking my way to school, I drove past the street—the one I saw in my nightmare. Tahimik, walang katao-tao, just like how I dreamt about it. Katakot-takot na siya sa umaga, what more if I went there at night?

Anyway, I have to prepare my attire for Chloe's birthday tomorrow. Gusto ko sanang magpasama kay Drix, kaso 'yon nga busy sa rehearsal nila, at mamayang gabi na sila magpeperform. Wala kasi talaga akong maisip na susuotin.

I'm here at the field, on my casual spot. It's two past 12, and it seems I have no plans of leaving here. 'Di ko alam kung pupunta na lang ba ako sa mall nang mag-isa ngayon, o dito na lang ako until magsisimula ang contest.

"Do you have something to wear tomorrow?"

"Wala pa nga ih," I replied out of the blue.

It took me a few seconds to realize there was someone behind me, and he almost gave me a heart attack as I turned my head. "Ano ba 'yan, puro na lang nanggugulat ang mga tao sa akin," sabi ko.

He threw a small laugh. "Sorry," Eric smiled.

His smile was a bit surprising in my sight. When we were at the camp, palagi kasi siyang nakabusangot.

"Gusto mong samahan kita?" he asked.

"Huh? Ako samahan? Saan?"

"Maghanap ng susuotin mo."

Really? Eric would be my company today? 'Di ko alam kung magandang idea ba or hindi, lalo pa't hinahanap siya ni Chloe.

"Nagkita na ba kayo ni Chloe?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Still, no plans."

"Eh kung mahuli niya ako na kasama kita, lagot ako. Alam mo namang muntik na akong ma-kick sa camp dahil nagselos siya sa akin," saad ko.

"Right. Maybe, I'll text you later. Kita na lang tayo sa mall," aniya saka umalis.

He left me in confusion. Ano pinagsasabi niya na kita raw kami sa mall? He sounded so eager to accompany me para bumili ng attire ko. What's up with him?

And why is he so mysterious lately?

Anyway, punta na lang talaga ako sa mall kahit mag-isa lang. Bukas na kasi kailangan, tsaka ngayon lang ang vacant ko.

I went out of the school, only to meet Chloe, and surprisingly, with the other girls. "Hi," I greeted and she immediately shoved the two girls away.

"Oh, hi, Abby! My pretty friend!" she greeted me back, and gave me a quick hug. "Don't you forget to come on my birthday! So excited to see you there!"

She turned to the other two girls. Mga alipores niya. "Don't mind them, they're just trying to befriend me and that's not gonna happen anytime sooner," she added.

"If you say so. Kita na lang tayo tomorrow," I smiled and walked past her.

Something's up with her, now that I caught her with her friends. I can't really say if she was straight-up lying. But anyway, I still want to go to her party. Maybe, I could confirm everything there all by myself.

As usual, hindi na ako nagbike papuntang mall. Nagcommute ako, and it took me 10 minutes to reach my destination. Medyo heavy ang traffic eh.

I was already at the back of the mall, when I grabbed my phone. I was hesitant to text Eric, but as soon as I opened our conversation, he sent a message.

Eric:

I'm here, in the parking lot. I wear a hoodie and a bonnet.

I looked around and saw a guy in a hoodie and a bonnet, leaning on a post. Nilapitan ko naman siya kaagad. "Eric?"

"You're here."

"Kakarating ko lang din."

After that, he headed to the mall. At first, medyo nahihiya ako kasi sasamahan niya talaga akong bumili ng attire ko bukas, which I still find very weird at the same time. Bigla-bigla na lang nag-aaya, even though we're not that close enough to be this kind of friends.

"Let's eat first," sabi niya.

"Hala, kakain ko lang this lunch. Medyo busog pa ako," pagtanggi ko.

"Ah okay, mamaya na lang."

Paalis na sana siya nang pinigilan ko siya. "Eh, baka gutom ka na. Pasok na lang tayo, nakakahiya naman sa'yo kung palilipasin kita ng gutom," sabi ko.

"It's totally fin—"

Hindi na natapos ang sasabihin niya nang sapilitan ko na siyang pinapasok sa resto. Baka mahimatay pa 'to mamaya, ayaw ko namang madali kaming mabisto ni Chloe rito.

We found a vacant table and took our seats while waiting for his order. Treat rin naman raw niya, at nag-insist siyang pumili na lang rin ako ng dessert para hindi lang siya ang kakain sa table.

"So, how's Drix?"

"Okay lang naman. Nagrerehearse na rin after nag-attempt na tumakas."

"You looked good together," aniya.

"Thanks," I shyly replied.

He smiled, but I noticed traces of sadness on it. I was about to continue our conversation when his meal finally came with the waitress.

I became silent the whole time he was enjoying his food. I was enjoying my drink too, but the mind was still curious about him.

After finishing his food, we proceeded to my main agenda here in the mall. We went to a costume store, and I was greeted by a lot of attire I wanted to wear at the party.

"This could be the best that you could wear tomorrow," he pointed to an interesting costume.

At first glance, natawa ako sa tinuro niya. "Seriously? Mukha akong tanga niyan," sabi ko.

"Com'on, try it on. It looks fun," aniya.

I grabbed it, and came to a final decision that it'll be what I will wear tomorrow. It's a Halloween-themed party after all, and everyone was encouraged to wear something scary and fun.

Tinignan ko naman ang relo ko, and it was almost 6. "The hell, I have to go!" I said and about to sprint my way out of the mall.

"Wait," pagpigil niya sa akin. "Saan ka pupunta?"

"Contest ni Drix! I have to be there now!"

Kahit natataranta na ako, wala lang siya. No trace of emotion. He was just staring at me, as he held my arm.

"Abby," he called my name, which left me confused.

Hindi ko alam kung anong nangyayari sa kanya, hanggang sa binitawan na niya ako. "You must go. Nag-aantay na siya sa'yo."

"How about you?"

"I'll be fine. Thanks for your time."

"Thank you rin, Eric."

I paced my way out of the mall, still thinking why Eric was acting this way lately. Nag-taxi na lang ako pabalik ng school sa pagmamadali ko.

When I came back, I was already 30 minutes late. I really ran as fast as I could to the gym, where the contest was held. I almost forgot na sobrang luwag ng school namin, at hingal na hingal ako pagdating sa gym.

"Thank you for the wonderful performance, Aldrix De Vera!" rinig kong sabi ng host, only for me to realize he was already leaving the stage.