Chapter 1

Amvasthapuram.

The magnificent land of peace and prosperity. The land of valiant warriors. The land of justice and righteousness. Where righteousness was held above all. The kingdom had prospered and expanded under the rulers of the great Vajravanshi (dynasty of Vajra). 

When the whole kingdom had embraced the darkness of the night and went to rest, the royal Palace of Maharaj (King) Vriddhakshatra still was vibrant with joy and laughter. And why not? This Palace has just witnessed the marriage of Maharaj Vriddhakshatra's son, Jayaditya.

The notorious prince of Amvasthapuram had finally married the princess of Telinga and brought a good political alliance for the kingdom. After all, it was the only beneficial thing he had done for the kingdom. The extras were kept for that only. And he was one of the extras. The extra princes who were kept around in case the heir failed to stand to the elders expectations.

"What are you doing here, jyesth (eldest brother)? Rajkumari (princess) must be waiting for you." Rajkumar (prince) Durdharsh said as he saw his eldest brother, the groom standing in the wide open balcony alone and indulging in alcohol.

"Let her wait a little more. It'll be good practice for her. Ultimately, she'll have to do that only. Waiting in line to be summoned when she is needed." Jayaditya replied with a scornful smile.

"Why are you saying so? Bhabishree (sister-in-law) will be given every respect and right that she deserves as your wife." Durdharsh replied genuinely in a gentle tone. But Jayaditya started to laugh. 

"Yes. Just like me, right?" Jayaditya said, controlling his laughter. "You know what? The princess of Telinga is a fool! Or else why would she choose me of all people?"

No one could have made Jayaditya believe when he started for Telinga that Rajkumari Rudrani would garland him of all people in her Swayamvar sabha (the gathering of groom choosing ceremony). He had gone there just to honor the invitation as he knew no princess in her right mind would want him. But Rajkumari Rudrani proved him wrong.

Durdharsh was at a loss for words. He knew all the words of wisdom would fail Jayaditya who had made himself his biggest enemy. His feelings of loathing were not unknown to him. And he could understand why he was like this to an extent. The only difference was he didn't loathe his second eldest brother, Jagadeesan unlike Jayaditya. But there's nothing that he could say to change Jayaditya's mind. So, he said instead,

"Please go to your chamber before anyone else sees you and words reach Pitashree (father)."

"Maharaj Vriddhakshatra wouldn't care. He wanted an alliance, he got that. Now he would hardly bother with me or my wife." Jayaditya replied, filling his empty chalice.

"What does it matter if he cares or not? It should be Bhabishree whose feelings you should respect." Durdharsh said, trying to reason with him. But Jayaditya didn't give any indication of acknowledging his words.

"She has come here trusting you only. Hoping to start a new family. Don't disappoint her at least." Durdharsh said sternly and left him alone again.

***

Rajkumari Rudrani sat in the bed chamber of Rajkumar Jayaditya. The room was decorated with different types of fresh flowers. Their smell made it seem like she had entered a garden. The bed itself was surrounded with garlands of tuberose and red roses. She had been sitting in this same position for hours waiting for him.

Her husband.

Rudrani, who was also the cousin of Yuvrani (crown princess) Nivedita, the wife of Jayaditya's younger brother, Yuvraj (crown prince) Jagadeesan, had once come to visit her at the kingdom of Amvasthapuram and that was when she first saw Rajkumar Jayaditya. The young naive princess had been smitten with the strong valorous prince who possessed the strength of one hundred thousand elephants, was unbeatable in the battlefield and hid a kind heart behind his infamous character. Might be it was fated, but Rudrani had seen glimpse of that heart and lost hers to him.