AN ALL-OUT WITCH HUNT

Start from the beginning

"If I knew I'd be missed this much, I would've left sooner," she chuckles, despite pulling her in for a tighter hug.

It was bad enough getting a phone call saying your best friend might die in a day, but to be 12 hours away when you do? Outright torture.

"We have so much to talk about."

"Oh, don't I know it," Dawn quirks an eyebrow at her brother, while Sam sits down at the table, eating at the omelette made for her.

Then, as if things couldn't get any worse, the news turns back on, revealing what they'd all been anticipating in fear.

"Another murder has struck our small town just last night at Lover's Lake. The once hot teen hangout is now the place of nightmares."

"Este pueblo se va a la mierda," Leo groans, shaking his head.

"Creo que es hora para nosotros de salir de aquí," Gianna agrees, making Sam frown.

They didn't even know the half of it.

"Police have also named a prime suspect in this string of gruesome murders."

"Turn it up."

"None other than Edward Munson, local Hawkins High School Senior and Leader of a so-called Hellfire Club. Stay tuned because in an hour, we'll be showing a live clip of the Chief's statement on the matter."

"Oh shit," Dustin blurts, while Dawn and Sam's eyes widen.

"Oh, I heard about him. He is a, como se dice, drug- Drug dealer," Gianna snaps, struggling to find the words.

"Well, I mean he's just a suspect, right? Doesn't mean he did it," Sam suggests, eyeing Dawn to make sure this conversation wasn't hurting her feelings.

"I know, but the way things are going in this town, the last thing they're gonna want is a full murder investigation."

"So they're just gonna arrest whoever they think did it? No evidence?" Dawn gasps.

"If he didn't do it, he's gonna need a miracle."

"Or a really good lawyer," Sam gives him an earnest look, and he immediately shakes his head. "Come on, you're the best in the state!"

"No. I can't afford a pro Bono case right now, and truthfully they might fire me if I represent this boy," he admits.

"Why are you so sure he's innocent?" Gianna asks.

"I can't say. But I know he is. We all do."

"You can't- Samantha, are you in trouble?"

"No, nothing like that. I just... From what I heard about the crimes, they don't seem like something he'd be capable of. I mean, he's like scrawny," she lies.

"Scrawny doesn't mean incapable of murder, sweetheart. It's nice that you see the good in people but just try to stay away from him. At least until things calm down."

"Shouldn't be hard, we weren't exactly friends."

"You guys too," she points to Dustin and Dawn, who grimace. "We need you all safe."

Soon after, Sam's phone rings up in her room, and she leads her friends upstairs, assuming it's either Steve or one of the group members.

"Hello?" she picks up the purple device.

"Did you see the news?" Robin shouts.

"Yeah, my parents are just about ready to put the house on lockdown. Have you heard from Eddie?"