ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ᴏɴᴇ

Start from the beginning

Maybe for someone like him ― someone in a biker gang ― this stuff was normal.

You weren't foreign to that kind of thing either, though. You had been beaten up too, by a variety of people.
People like your father, your school bullies, and rarely, random ruffians on the streets.

You could tolerate the beatings, since your pain tolerance had probably increased over the years, but to see someone else get hurt because of you was... something else.

He said he would bring Mr. Froppé back, and he did.

"[Last Name]-chan?"

"Ah... Yes?" You realized that you had been spacing out and just staring at him like an idiot. "...Sorry... Again." You teared your gaze away, staring at the table in front of you.

"Is... something wrong?" He asked.

Your lips parted in response, but no words came out. You probably looked like a mindless fish, opening its mouth. "It's hard to talk about it."

Chifuyu nodded, though you couldn't see it. "Do you need anything then? I could get you some water." He suggested, but you shook your head.

"But..." You slowly spoke. "Can I get a hug?"

"A hug, huh..." Chifuyu scratched his face, feeling a little sheepish. "If that's you want, then..." He inched closer and wrapped his arms around you from your side.

Even though you requested it, you didn't think he would actually do it.

His knees now propped on the couch, he towered over you as he hugged. "Will this make you feel better, at least?" You heard him mumble above your head.

You made a face, confused. Well, you were acting a bit spaced out earlier, so he might've thought something was wrong. You nodded.

"That thing about your class project..." He began to speak. "That was a lie, right?"

Your body frozed up in response. "What... What are you talking about?" You didn't dare move an inch.

"I mean, it made a little sense with your excuse, but..." He shut his eyes, drawing his breath. "You know, you talk faster when you're panicking."

"No, you're wrong! It's not true! I'm not―" You shut your mouth in realisation. I-I do talk faster! But...!

"You don't have to tell me what's wrong. Just... tell me you're upset and I'll comfort you." Chifuyu enunciated, trying to make his feelings clear. "Hell― You don't even have to tell me! Your aunt's here too! You can tell her. You don't have to carry it alone."

"I..." You let out a breath, your shoulders sinking. "Yes, I... fell in that river on purpose." You closed your eyes, reliving that moment. "Maybe I thought I could drown... or maybe I thought it could help me wake up to reality. I don't know."

"It's one of those times when you just want to die. Everyone has those days, right?"

You felt him grip you tighter, as if he wants to keep you right here in this moment.

"Chifuyu-san...?" You uttered his name, trying to look up at him but his embrace kept you in place.

"Ha... Nothing, just..." He drooped down, his head now resting on your shoulder, his arms that were once wrapped so tightly around you loosened, barely holding on at all. "It's... nothing." His voice sounded so despondent you wondered if he was the same person you knew.

You couldn't turn your head to see him. You wished you could. "I'm sorry. I always seem to bring the mood down." You awkwardly patted his back instead.

It went like that for half a minute.

"Hey." The male broke the silence, lifting his head up. "Why did you join Toman? It was to help Takemitchy, right?"

"Well... he seemed determined to help."

"Sure, but..." Chifuyu looked conflicted.

"Ah." You understood what he meant. "I guess... I don't really care if I die. But... Auntie will be sad, so what other choice do I have?"

"[Last Name]-chan, you..." He wanted to help, but he didn't know how. Even though you shared many stories of yourself, he didn't know what the source of your misery was.

Is it because of the bullying at school? Is it because you hate yourself? Or is it something else?

He thought for a while, before he made up his mind.

"Listen, [Last Name]-chan." He gripped his hands on your shoulders, making you face him. "After we defeat Tenjiku, let's go out somewhere. Maybe somewhere nice and relaxing, I don't know. But I'm not taking no for an answer. Okay? You have to come."

"Ah― Um, okay." You were a little startled at his sudden change of attitude, but agreed regardless. "I'm happy to go anywhere with you, but why all of a sudden?"

"Why? Because―" He stopped. It was like he realized what you had said earlier. "...Ugh." He retracted his hands and averted his eyes, his face burning up a little.

You tilted your head, confused.

Then, the door to the laundry room opened. "Matsuno-san." Your aunt came out. "They're dry now. I apologise for the wait."

"Oh, no problem." He took the freshly folded pants out from the dryer.

"I'll escort you out." Your aunt offered and headed to the door. You two followed her.

"Get home safe, Chifuyu-san." You waved your hand once you were out in the porch.

Chifuyu smiled, nodding.

"[Name], would you mind going back in? I'd like to talk to your friend." Your aunt asked, making the said male nervous for a moment.

"Oh, okay. Don't keep him out for too long though." You said. "His mom is still waiting." Then you went back in the house as ordered.

"So, Matsuno-san." Your aunt closed the door behind her. Now, it was just of two of them outside. "Are you two going to be fighting soon?"

The sudden question made him stop.

"Uh... Well... I―"

That was all your aunt needed. "I trust you to keep her safe, and I trust her that she'll be careful, but if anything happens to her..." She paused, as if adding the gravity of her words. "I'm suing all of you." Then she leaned towards him intimidatingly. "Know that I am a lawyer, and will not yield against some teenagers."

"Yes, ma'am." Chifuyu instinctively replied, straightening his back. "I'll keep her safe."

Your aunt exhaled, stepping back. "...Good." She smiled fondly. "Please send my regards to your guardian as well. Like [Name], get home safe. Your caretaker must be worried sick."

Once the door finally shut, Chifuyu huffed out heavily, having held his breath at your aunt's threat.

"Yeah... I'll definitely keep hee safe." He spoke out loud in resolve. He sucked in a breath once more, before leaving the premises.

And in just a few days' time, a ferocious fight will ensue between two gangs ― the final decisive battle.