ELEVEN, kook life

Start from the beginning

"it's true." sarah nodded.

"i'd like to make up for it, if you'll let me. i spoke with sheriff peterkin, and... i've offered to be your legal guardian, if you'll have me."

cassie's jaw dropped in shock. "what about me?" she asked, knowing that the man was only talking to john b.

"well, i don't have the room for two more," bullshit, he lives in a mansion, cassie thought to herself. "but, i've come up with a plan so that you two— plus your daughter— will be safe and housed."

evelyn walked in the room, grace's hand in hers.

cassie wanted to cry. she didn't want anyone becoming her legal guardian. she only had one year until she was 18.

maybe she'd be okay living with evelyn. but she didn't want to be a burden.

"can we go talk in the hall?" cassie asked, teary eyed. evelyn nodded and walked out of the room. cassie followed, wiping her tears as inconspicuously as she could.

"look, i know you don't want to say yes, but you have no other choice, honey," evelyn whispered, rubbing cassie's back. "i'd been thinking about this for a while but i knew you wouldn't accept the help."

"i just don't want to become a problem for you, y'know." cassie muttered, eyeing some of the nurses passing by. "my problems are my problems."

"cassie. you're still a kid." evelyn reminded her. "even if you don't feel like it, or people act like you aren't— you are."

"but i'm a mom first."

"i know what it's like." evelyn assured her. "i just want to help you, cassie."

hearing this made cassie burst into sobs. she had always viewed evelyn as the only mother figure in her life, so these words made her crack. her stubborn and hard shell crumbled, and fell into a million pieces at her feet.

evelyn wrapped her arms around the girl as she cried, rubbing her back and kissing the side of her head softly and gently. "it's all gonna be okay."

"mommy, it's okay," grace said comfortingly, wrapping her arms around the two women.

☀︎☀︎☀︎

     EVELYN THOMPSON WAS OFFICIALLY CASSANDRA ROUTLEDGE'S LEGAL GUARDIAN.

she knew if she tried to fight it, things would just end up worse, and since john b didn't fight ward on it, cassie didn't fight evelyn on it. at least she didn't have to live with rafe.

they had gone to the chateau to grab some things for the meantime, before they actually moved in.

"i'll move my office into my room and that can be grace's room." evelyn said off handedly, as if it were no big deal, while she set down her things and closed the front door behind her.

cassie stopped, turning around to face the woman. "no, evelyn, it's really fine." she assured her, shaking her head. "me and grace can share a roo—"

"you're under my roof now, so no arguing." evelyn teased, smiling. cassie rolled her eyes, crossing her arms across her chest. "come on, i know you want your own room."

cassie did like having her own room, but she didn't want to take up more room in evelyn's house than necessary. having her move her office into her bedroom and let grace have it was taking up a lot of space and energy. "we can share a room, evelyn. we've always shared a room up until a few days ago."