Pt11. Homecoming Part:2

Start from the beginning

You cross your arms and sit as well, gently poking at your nose and flinching in pain. "Alright fox I admit it, you got me. I'd be pretty screwed if you went and ruined what I've got going for me." At least for now, but if I can help it you'll get only the minimum amount of information...

He smiles crudely at you. "So let's just cut to the chase- What's the deal with the star posts?"

Your eyes widen at the specificity of the question, did he read your mind while you were out? "You're asking the wrong (y/a), if I understood any of that tech maybe I'd be building my own robots and stuff."

Tails looked pleased with himself as if with every phrase you speak its another confirmation, "Not long before you appeared there was a spike of chaos energy similar to a chaos control. We haven't been able to find many emeralds for a while and Shadow thought the missing ones returned to the special zone. The emeralds can cause dimensional hopping with enough energy, and even a chaos control can jump between dimensions depending on who's using the emerald."
Your head is spinning with how much he's talking as he continued to lecture.
"-so to put it simply, a chaos control happened. The emerald caused it's own chaos control drawn to you. All the evidence points to that as a possibility. The only variable is you and what caused the emerald to respond to your call."

You raised both eyebrows, a genuine look of surprise on your face. Most of what he said wasn't super clear to you but a lot of it seemed to line up. Was it all true? Still unclear but wow, it was impressive. "Quite a large leap in logic don't you think, fox? The emerald was already in the lab, I simply retrieved it. As for the emerald responding to me? Well I disagree. I'm sure you'll find fault with that response though so I offer this: How would I be able to give you accurate information if I don't understand the circumstance?"

Tails leaned his head back slightly as his gaze scanned over you top to bottom. "You're pretty hard to understand too I promise." He tosses the USB to you.

You lunge over and swipe it up, your hands clutching it tightly. "This changes nothing, fox. I'm still going to regroup with the doctor's forces and take you all down-"
It felt lighter..?
You look a little closer at the USB, it's casing empty with the electronics missing. You sigh to yourself quietly.

"Being a hero also means you have to be cunning and decisive. I bet you thought I'd return it out of the kindness of my heart but I'm not that naive." He stands back up with a pleased look on his face. "You've let us know exactly how important that device is though so thanks for that, I'll be sure to scrub through it extra carefully just for you."

You sit back down, shaking your head. There was a nagging admiration in you with his play on your emotions. "It pains me to admit it but you're unfortunately very cunning, fox. Your mind is sharp but you have too much compassion for your enemies."

Tails scoffs as he walks away. "That's what separates us from people like Eggman that only care about themselves. You hurt my best friend. I'm not happy about it but if I retaliate against you then I'm no better than Eggman." He huffs quietly to himself in an attempt to let his anger go if only for a moment."Besides, Sonic wouldn't want me to hurt anyone for his sake. Not that someone like you would understand, right?"

"Someone like me..." That hurt more than it should have. He didn't know that you fled your home or spent a few years trying to take it back after your dad had failed. Eggman recruiting you was never apart of the plan but the more you learned the more hopeless you felt in defying the mad genius.

Day progresses into evening, any attempts to free yourself from your prison fruitless and only end up making you exhaust yourself. Occasionally you would hear rustling in the surrounding woods only to be occupied by silence again. Roughly a 40 minute interval... You count in your head to confirm and while the rustling was faint at best, your sharp hearing could pick it up easily when left alone to focus.