Chapter 1 ~ Bribe as a Bride

Alex

"You want me to marry your crazy daughter!" A remote amusement erratically ran through my body as I glanced up from the biography on the table that the old geezer in front of me had offered earlier.

Fredrick Adler, the senator of NY–he wore his navy blue office suit and had grown his clipped, Ulysses S. Grant beard which must be the reason why he assumes he would be the future president. But, at least, this narcissist knew it had to be acquired step by step. First, he targeted the Senate. He succeeded. Now, I assumed the target was to be the NY governor for what he required my assistance and for which he was here in my office today.

Of course, he would. The election was only six months away and the citizens were not in his favor. Yeah, basically, this senator was here to beg me for more powers, with a bride as a bribe. Sounds quite ridiculous, right?

"That's right. But I think you are misunderstanding. She..." Senator Fredrick paused as his brown eyes dropped to the controller in my hands.

I watched his throat bob, probably threatened by my little possession. I smirked. "Relax, senator. It belongs to my drone. Drone camera. Definitely not a firearm or explosive ordnance you should be scared of."

Before he could make some unnecessary shits called explanation, I motioned him to take a seat on the chair opposite mine. He obeyed and proceeded to fill the spot.

Obedient.

"So what were you saying?" I asked.

While he tried to remember where he paused, I took the time to send my drone outside, plopping slight pressure on the left stick combining with the right stick to the left.

"I was saying that... maybe, you are misunderstanding. She is not entirely insane, Mr. Alexander Hart." Senator Fredrick declared. He loved to call me by my full name. I hated it.

While my hands manipulated the sticks of the controller, I focused back on Fredrick. "I believe she has a mental disease. So, isn't that the same? You want me to marry a woman whose brain functions differently. And you really think I would accept it." As he didn't spill a bean and just gave me a blank look, a glint of satisfaction settled down my spine. "Why would I?"

The despair on his face was so precious to me. I enjoyed it to my bones. However, he still managed to sit quietly and not throw the table's contents at my face. The vulnerability in him clearly addressed my success. It was almost pleasing how he changed his whole personality from the last time.

The last time was, approximately, two years ago when he became the senator and I received the award for being the most successful businessman in the state.

One of the reasons why I expected him here today was that last night Hart Inc. had been recognized as a top multinational corporation. Though it had nothing to do with the dream that grew inside me since childhood, it sure did take me a few steps closer to THAT one certain dream. A few more wise steps and I would finally live my dream.

"You can never know she is sick even if you meet her. She has improved a lot. Her managing the entire Muse Corp alone proves a lot." His voice shook.

He wasn't being unreasonable. Regardless of the insult I tossed at his absent daughter, the biography he provided was quite impressive. Muse Adler was her name, and she was twenty-five, having an ideal three-year age gap with me, graduating from one of the best universities with a brilliant result. It was also mentioned that currently, she owned Muse Corp.; the second biggest manufacturing corporation. But there was no mention of the brain disease I heard about.

"And except for that one flaw, you see, she is smart. She is also very beautiful. I couldn't bring her photos because she hates being photographed. You should meet her in person once." added Fredrick.