Off to Hawaii

For the first time In his short teenage life, the hyperactive blue hedgehog didn't have to hide. He could run through the streets of Green Hills in broad daylight, unafraid of the townspeople. He made new friends every day. It's still like nothing could slow him down. So why not make a late-night run out of town by the speed of his own two feet? Seattle is nice this time of year and listening to the police radio frequencies like Donut Lord had taught him... Well, it was just the perfect soundtrack for one.

Just eight months back, the hedgehog alien was on the brink of death battling a mustached madman called Doctor Robotnik. The drone building maniac and nearly tore Sonic's life apart. But thanks to the help of his girlfriend, Angel, Sonic was able to body slam Robotnik through an interdimensional portal and off planet Earth forever. And in that moment, Sonic had touched a kind of acid he never thought imaginable. He had been a hero, and with all that power, he had some kind of responsibility, right? At least the responsibility to kick some bad guy but every once in a while.

Angel opened up her eyes at the break of dawn. She, too, felt the same way. The first that she met Sonic, she fell in love with him. That quill of his had pricked her finger and she had given her alien powers. Even more, she even transformed into a white hedgehog. She rubbed her eyes gently and saw a blue bundle snuggling on her. It was Sonic, sound asleep with his arms wrapped around her. She beamed, she began to nuzzle her hedgehog nose up to Sonic's. His eyes opened up, feeling her nose.

"Ugh! Blegh! Angel, morning breath!" he cried, rubbing his face away from her.

Her mom, Maddie, was putting the laundry in their bedroom. "Angel, Sonic! You're still in bed? You're supposed to meet Tom, remember?"

"All right! All right, I'm up. I'm up..." Sonic yawned. He stumbled out of bed and out the door. He flopped over, face first on the floor. Now that he thought about it, there was only one way to get through to him. Angel got back up, stretching her arms and fluffing her hair.

"Come on, Sonic," Angel protested, trying to get her boyfriend up.

Tom had done it with his dad, even though they never caught anything. But the boat was a place to slow things down and focus on what was important. Plus, once Sonic was out on the water, he was a captive audience.

"What a day. Thanks for coming out, bud. You know, I feel like you and me, we haven't had much time together lately," Tom said after they'd been out on the water for fifteen minutes. His shipmate was silent. "How's it going over there? Did you get any bites?"

Sonic was in a deep sleep on the other side of the boat. His heavy head tilted to one side, and then the other, then it led his whole body off the edge and into the water.

"AAUGH!! I can't swim!" Sonic cried as his face burst from the water.

Tom reached into the water with a steady hand and pulled him back on board, getting a face full of water up his nose in the process.

"Take it easy. But, now that you've had a nap and a bath.." he reassured him, calmly. "I went up to your room last night to bring you some new comics and um..." He pulled up a newspaper slapping it at the board to show the headline. Sonic's eyes grew wide. "How many times are we gonna do this?"

"What?" Sonic was forceful. "Cast your line and not catch anything? Seems like a billion."

"I think you know what I'm talking about. Lying, sneaking out, pretending to be Batman."

"Blue Justice, trademark pending."

"Whatever, you're being reckless," Tom insisted.

"Ugh. Not this conversation again," Sonic groaned.

"It's no fun for me either, but if you keep being irresponsible, we're gonna keep having this conversation."

"How is it irresponsible to use my power?" Sonic asked, standing up to his feet.

"Sonic, you destroyed an entire city block!"

"The block was already messed up! Who cares? Look, I stopped a robbery! I was a hero!"

Tom shook his head, frustrated. "No, you put people in danger and that's NOT what a hero does."

"You're supposed to be my friend. Stop trying to be my dad," Sonic peeped. "I can take care of myself."

"Sonic, taking care of yourself, is not what being a hero is all about. It's about taking responsibility for other people. And now, whether you wanna hear this or not, you are still just a kid," Tom said. "You got some more growing up to do before you're ready to be a hero. Trust me, there will come a time when your powers will be needed. But you don't choose that moment. That moment chooses you."

Sonic thought about it. "Woah. Look at you. Look, I just got-- I just got goosebumps. Wait a second, did you steal that from Oprah?"

"No, sir, it's a Wachowski family special. Came from my dad, in this very boat, in this very lake. He would always try and steer me in the right direction. That's what Maddie and I always try to do with you. So, until your moment arrives, I want you to work on being more responsible."

Sonic thought about it. Then he nodded. "Comprende. High five on it!"

Angel, who was at the far side of the lake, cheered. "Yeah! Donut Lord and the Blue Blur are back at it again!"

Sonic had to keep his cool. Even if he was particularly bouncing off the walls for a weekend to himself, he couldn't let it show too much. He didn't want to make Donut Lord, Angel and Maddie wait. So rather than bounce off the walls, he threw himself into work. And today's work was running Sonic air. In truth, there was no airplane trip. Really, only they travel through once the oxygen floating in the center of a warp ring. But to class it up,

"How excited are you to go to Hawaii?" Tom asked Maddie as they packed up. Tom followed her with every step as she held her suitcase to the living room.

Sonic sped his way into enough for the airline gate agent. He greeted them as they prepared to go to Hawaii.

"Welcome to Sonic Air, the fastest way to travel. Now boarding groups one and two," Sonic said, checking the names on a clipboard.

"Aww, Sonic! This is so fun!" Maddie laughed, kneeling down to pat the quills on his head.

"I'm sorry ma'am, you're group three. Please wait your turn. Anyone from groups one and two?"

"Just let him get it out of his system," Tom assured.

"Okay, anybody else? Right this way."

Angel giggled. He was like a flight attendant.

"Not so fast Sonic. First you gotta bring it in," Tom said, opening his arms wide for a hug.

"Tom, I'm about to be hedgehog of the house for the first time. I think I'm a little mature to hug you goodbye."

"Okay, what about a power bump?" Maddie compromised. Sonic threw a fist into the air and when it was joined by theirs, he knew he'd be okay. They'd come back. He wouldn't be left alone again. At least he's got Angel.

"Yes! Power bump! That's more like it," Sonic peeped. "Okay, use this one to get back home."

"All right, we're off. Okay, be good!"

"Yes, you have our number."

"Sorry, I can't hear you, you're traveling through a cross dimensional portal!" Sonic called.

"Miss you already!"

"Okay!"

"Have fun at Rachel's wedding!"

The portal closed, leaving Sonic, Angel and Ozzy alone in the house.

"Well," Angel began. "It's just you and me now."

"Okay, it's 48 hours until they come back," Sonic smiled. "We've got TV channels, streaming channels, a house full of food, and no supervision."