033; running into each other

Start from the beginning

"Hey wait!"

Myra stopped in her tracks as Rafe called out for her a little louder than before, urging her to just hold on for another second. He needed time to sort through everything that was secretly overwhelming him. All the thoughts, all the emotions and all the ringing noises in his ears. Myra turned on her heels as Rafe caught up to her, laying a hand on her upper arm. It sent shivers down her spine, making her flutter her eyelashes up at him. He lingered with his touch for a few seconds, feeling comfort as his fingertips grazed upon her bare skin. He then pulled away, needing to play it cool, especially in the middle of the bright and sunny day in such a public place like this. "I was just thinking..." Rafe trailed, a slight smirk finding its way onto his lips, "do you wanna hang out today?"

"I have to be at work in half an hour" Myra muttered, feeling much more compelled to spend the day with the kook boy than being at service to a bunch of old and entitled golfers and hotel guests. Rafe seemed disappointed with her answer as he pushed his lips together. Myra saw as he gazed away, his eyes wandering the tall shelves of the grocery store. "But I'm up for a midnight swim if you'd like?" she then suggested. He liked to sneak out to the marsh late at night to swim peacefully, she knew that, so she hoped he'd say yes. Which he did, of course. "Yeah that would be nice actually" Rafe hummed, the faint smirk once more returning to his lips, "what time do you get off of work tonight?". Myra sighed, "at eleven" she answered as her thoughts wandered towards the long and dreadful hours behind the front desk that she had before her. "I'll pick you up around eleven then" Rafe spoke, to which Myra nodded her head. "Sounds like a plan" she hummed, holding the plastic grocery basket with both her hands.

Rafe walked alongside Myra in the grocery store, keeping a watchful eye out for unfriendly pouges or judgemental kooks. She placed a red apple, a granola bar and a bottle of water into her grocery basket before she went to pay. Rafe, who wasn't done with his own grocery shopping, stopped for a moment by the cash register. He had seemingly forgotten why he was even there in the first place. He was picking up mixers and chips for a thing he had tonight. A thing he hadn't told anyone about, for it wasn't his usual type of kook outing. It was a party out in the most rural part of the cut, a place both him and Myra seemed to know well.

Myra payed for her three things before she turned to face Rafe once more with a bubbly smile upon her face. She looked just as happy as before. "Well I'll see you later tonight" she spoke gently, holding her things in her small hands. "Hang on" Rafe stopped her, placing his grocery basket down at the cash register. Myra watched curiously as the tall kook boy turned towards the young boy who was sat behind the old machine. "I'm not done but I have to head out real quick, do you mind holding onto this for me? I'll only be a few minutes" Rafe spoke, eyeing the boy with a polite yet somewhat manipulative gaze. "Sure, no problem" the young store worker spoke as he grabbed the basket and placed it down behind the cash register, "just come by here and pick it up whenever you get back"

The young boy looked slightly bored, but he did at least know how to apply his good manners when it came to customers. Myra assumed that he was working in the store over the summer to make a few extra bucks for him and his family. She didn't know the boy, but she recognized him from school. He was a grade above her, she was almost sure of that. She had seen him around the hallways.

"Thanks, I appreciate it man"

Rafe caught up to Myra, pulling his hands through his hair as to fix it. "I'll drop you off at the club" he spoke assuringly, grabbing the keys to his dirtbike out of his right pocket, twisting them in between his index finger and his thumb. "You don't have to do that" Myra assured him, putting her red apple, granola bar and bottle of water into her backpack. "It's not a problem" Rafe urged, nodding his head towards the door of the small shop, "let's go"