Another Thwarted Escape

Start from the beginning

"My wife." The salt shaker answered. "Years ago, she was taken by one of those things." He said with disgust and pointed at Mugman. "I was having that vermin search for me until the Wondertart is finally done. It's the least they can do after what they took from me." His voice had lowered to a growl.

"But Tsundere didn't do anything like that!" Mugman argued with him.

"Tut, tut! They're all the same!" Saltbaker stopped him and waggled a finger. "Every chance they get they take, consume, and destroy. It's in their nature." Spoonfred intended to interrupt before the chef could dig himself into an even deeper hole.

"If I help you with the Wondertart, will you agree to let them go safely?" The spoon pointed to his friend. Perhaps he could bargain something that included Mug and Tsundere leaving unharmed.

"Maybe...I"ll think about it." His eyes shifted around as if considering it. "But the science of the Wondertart is too complicated for you to just jump into."

"Then how about we start with the basics? Do you have any reading material about the astral plane?" Spoonfred asked, trying to show genuine interest.

"Yeah, give me a minute." The chef grumbled. Saltbaker was gone for a few minutes, rummaging around his stuff. Mugman was afraid that he would come back with something much more dangerous than a book. Something like a glittering knife or a butcher's meat mallet. But the salt shaker kept to his word and came back with a book. "Here's my best book on the astral plane. Have fun." He lifted the lid of the jar and dropped the book in. Mug wished he could have had the strength to make a jump for it while the lid was open.

"Thank you, sir." Spoonfred said as he caught the item. It was a big and heavy book, almost like a school textbook. Its cover was decorated with various shades of gray and straight lines. A demon who had seen the realm would tell you that the book personified the astral plane's vibe well; plain, yet mysterious and powerful.

The salt shaker nodded to the young utensil before returning to his work.

Spoonfred sat down next to Mugman and prepared to open the book.

"How did you know he was going to give you the book?" Mug asked him.

"Just a hunch." The spoon replied with a shrug. "Let's see here..." His little gloved fingers skimmed through the pages. They stopped at each of the pages that Saltbaker had ear-marked or scribbled on, making note of what he had read and what he had added to the knowledge base. Most of the knowledge was pretty basic; how to access the realm, species that frequently use it (demons being one of them). His notes also detailed how he came up with the list of ingredients to use for the Wondertart. Spoonfred noticed the back few chapters seemed untouched.

"I wonder why he didn't scribble anything back here?" But then he flipped there and found out why. "Ugh, never mind!" He scowled.

"What's the issue?" Mug wondered. "It says: the astral plane is a desolate place with limitless energy of untapped potential – wait, what does this writing look like to you?" He stopped himself when he realized Spoonfred couldn't read this section.

"It's a bunch of scribbly stuff. Almost like a poor attempt to write some ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics." The spoon described. It had to be the language of demons! And if he could read this, then he could probably read whatever that was in his life book. But that was not his concern right now. Mugman shook that thought away and focused on the here and now.

"I can read it!" He rejoiced. "...Or I can because I have Tsundere inside me now." The utensil didn't fully understand what was going on right now, but he wasn't about to question this ability. In fact, he was happy about it. They now had access to information that the chef did not.

"What does it say? Anything important?" Spoonfred urged and moved the book closer to the mug.

"Let's see.... It's a barren place devoid of color and life.... one should not spend too much time there.... any attempt to control the energy within the plane will result in death." Mug skimmed through the writings.

"Sounds like that Wondertart will be pretty risky when it's done." The young spoon commented.

"How do we convey any of this to Chef Saltbaker without him thinking that we're crazy?" The mug child pondered.

"Maybe we can make some sort of demonstration with the Wondertart?" Spoonfred offered. "According to some of these ingredients, there should be some sort of reaction when interacting with the astral plane. But there is one problem with the recipe..." The utensil looked up from the book and over to the mug with a worried look on his face. "It requires the sacrifice of a mortal soul." Mugman took a gulp. "I don't think Saltbaker ever intended for you to leave."

"And if Ms. Chalice were here, it would be her soul that he would take." Mug realized. "He was just using her – using us – to get the ingredients. ALL of them."

"Well, we can't do anything about it from in here. You up for an escape plan?" Spoonfred asked as he closed the book and set it off to the side. Mug nodded. They stayed quiet for a minute when they heard the chef approaching. Thankfully, the salt shaker was just passing by to go fetch some items. It wasn't time to pluck the children out of their containment yet.

"How are we going to get out of here with him patrolling around? It's not like I can move very fast." Mugman whispered.

"Did someone order a rescue mission?" Whispered a third voice. The prisoners watched as Cuphead rounded the corner and approached their containment.

"Cuphead!" The trapped boys quietly rejoiced. The young cup was more than surprised to find two other souls in there with his brother.

"Spoonfred? Kiki? I didn't know we were having a party. I'll get you guys out so we can continue this shindig outside." He winked. Before he could find out how to reach the jar's lid, a set of heavier steps came close.

"Not so fast!" Saltbaker's voice snapped at him. "I thought I heard a little intruder!"

Cup whipped around to face the salt shaker.

"Let my friends go!" The cup child demanded.

"Or else what?" The chef asked, not seeming too concerned at the moment.

"Or I'll blast you into next week!" A gloved finger pointed at his glass adversary.

"I was kind of hoping you would say that..." Chef Saltbaker sneered. For a weakened Mugman had not been much of a challenge for him. But perhaps Cuphead would provide a better experience for getting his hands dirty, get out some of that pent-up anger.

"Be careful, Cuphead!" His brother warned. "He's more dangerous than he looks!" Cup nodded.

Saltbaker turned tail. Likely headed off for his butcher's knife and any other kitchen items he could use as weapons. The red cup followed close behind him, not intending for the chef to get the upper hand.

"Guess it's up to us to escape while Cuphead has Saltbaker busy..." Spoonfred said. The golden feline mewed to get their attention. They looked over as her tail flicked toward the jar. There was a spot on the jar with a bunch of scratch marks. She had been working to weaken the glass while they read the astral plane book.

"Great job, Kiki. Let me help you with that." The utensil said and came over to kick at that spot. Meanwhile, Mug curled himself up in the corner, feeling completely useless. He wasn't use to sitting there, not being able to help.

Be careful, Cuphead. He thought once more. I hope this plan actually works...