chapter 3 ✧˖°.

Start from the beginning

A couple of the boys in Cedric's friend group were on the Quidditch team, so you had begun to talk about tryouts. "What position did you end up getting?" Cedric's eyes were full of questions as they landed on you.

"I got seeker this year!" you exclaimed happily.

"No way me too!" Cedric exclaimed. Cedric gave you a hug of congratulations and the other boys gave you a high five.

"We won't send any rouge bludgers your way don't you worry," a couple of them reassured.

"She doesn't need to worry, the twins will keep those in check," Cedric told the boys before he winked at you. You nodded in thanks and continued on with the lighthearted conversation. He obviously knew about your crush, being one of your best friends and all you couldn't not tell him. In fact, you often ranted about it during astronomy with Cedric.

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊As it had been about two weeks since school began, and it was early morning, it had taken you longer than ever to reach the Great Hall. This might have been due to your passionate conversation with the group of Hufflepuffs though. As you entered the Great Hall with them, none of your roommates were to be spotted at the Gryffindor table. You sighed.

"What's wrong?" Cedric stopped to ask.

"Oh- just, my roommates aren't here, nothing terrible." You smiled at his caring nature.

"You can pretend to be a Hufflepuff this morning? I'm sure the professors wouldn't mind," he suggested with a grin.

"You know they won't allow that!" you told him, giving him a playful nudge with your shoulder.

"You're right, but if you do get lonely, we can go eat breakfast by the lake."

"I'll let you know." He gave you a side hug before catching up with his group. You didn't want to seem awkward just standing there so you hurried to a spot at the Gryffindor table. Not long after, since there were about thirty minutes left of breakfast, a pair of Gryffindors wandered in. You groaned internally as they spotted you and took a spot to either side of you.

"What do you want?" you questioned incredulously. The two of them sat down without a word which was strange since the Weasley twins never seemed to shut up.

"This is nice, you guys not talking," you admitted as you munched on your toast. You were not prepared for the noise that was about to happen.

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊A confetti explosion happened above your head and the two twins grinned at you as you watched it flutter to the ground. "Good luck as a seeker this year, y/n, and congrats!!" they shouted. A couple of people looked shocked, you assumed these were first years not used to the twins' antics. The rest of the Gryffindor table began to give you applause and you blushed a deep shade of red. Secondhand embarrassment made you cower, but this, this was bad. It was fine in a small group of people you knew but in the Great Hall-

You decided to stay for a bit, thanking everyone and congratulating George and Fred for being Beaters this year. Apparently, Angelina and Alicia had made the Chaser spot too. It was going to be a fearsome team.

You practically stood up and ran out of the room after you finished your breakfast. The attention was way too much for you to handle. Luckily, it was a Sunday and so there were no classes. You ran to the banks of the black lake where nobody ever dared go and crumpled down by a tree. You willed your face to cool down and took the moment to calm yourself down as well.

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊About 30 minutes later you could hear some crunching leaves and gravel. You didn't bother to look up as the person probably wouldn't approach you. You watched the black lake intently. Someone once told you if you watched long enough you might catch a glance of scales shimmering underneath the surface of the water. There were obviously many dangerous creatures you had been warned of in there, the mermaids included. But just seeing a shimmer of one would feel like igniting a childhood memory.

"Sorry, for the noise back there," a soft yet deep voice apologized.

"It's fine, George. It wasn't all that horrible. Just a little embarrassing," you chuckled a bit. He laughed slightly before sitting down next to you, leaning his head against the trunk of a huge beech tree.

"Well, good job," he congratulated you.

"You too," you nudged him with your leg and leaned your head against his shoulder. "You're one of our best players anyways."

"Not as good as you!"

"Obviously," you smirked.

He just stared at you with mock hurt before you let your gaze wander back to the black lake.

"I need help on my arithmancy homework," George stated.

"Damnit George, I was trying to forget about school for a moment," you grumbled.

"Isn't it wonderful though?" He asked a hint of sarcasm in his question.

"It's always wonderful being here," you sighed. George put an arm around your shoulder as he leaned his head against yours. You curled up close due to the slight chill of the morning air.

"Thanks for checking on me," you whispered.

"Always, though Fred might come looking for me sooner or later," he added on.

"I forgot you guys can track each other down like bloodhounds."

"It's the perks of being a twin," George sighed.

⁺˚⋆。°✩₊1297 words