Pt.1 - DETENTION

—*-*—
Harry, Ron and Hermione were making there way to the defence against the dark arts classroom not over the moon to greet their new teacher.

Professor Umbridge.

"Good morning class" the toad-faced lady cheered to the class enthusiastically, the class did not return her cheeriness and mumbled dry, uncheery good morning.

"Hm this is not how you welcome a teacher or someone who has strong connections with the ministry " she said.

"Now let's do this again, Good morning class" she cheered again, the class confused with her weird behaviour obeyed half heartedly and said a somewhat satisfactory good morning.

Harry caught Hermiones eye, she rolled her eyes as if to say this woman is so full of herself. The amount of times this woman had mention she is part of the ministry is unbelievably shocking.

"Wands away, no need for them today" she said as she scribbled something on the black board, her back facing the class. Everyone lowered their wands back into their bag sceptically but still obeyed. They were quite used to practical classes in Defense against the dark arts classes.

"Pull out your books and read until chapter two please" she said smiling sweetly, she had finished scribbling on the black board she had written about their up coming OWLs.

Harry like many others noticed Hermiones hand shoot up but their new professor chose to ignore it, many people had their books out opened to the page they had required to but they weren't necessarily reading them. Now the whole class was watching Hermione basically jumping and prancing out of her seat with her arm raised in the air.

Professor Umbridge finally gave in but Harry swore he saw her scoff and roll her eyes quickly.

"Yes miss.." she looked at Hermione who had sit back on her seat calmly after professor umbridge had finally acknowledged her existence.

"Granger miss, we have OWLs upcoming why aren't we doing any practical training?" She asked the now standing professor.

Professor Umbridge who looked as if she was waiting for this question merely walked around the room looking at all the pupils who weren't reading and instead were engaged to see what their professor had in store for their education.

"The ministry agrees that students of your age do not need to be learning anything practical right now, all you need to do is to read about it" she said as she slowly walked back to the front of the classroom and glanced at the class looking quite satisfied with herself.

"But miss what about our practical exams?" Hermione asked again, professor Umbridge who had not stopped smiling answered again.

"Students may raise their hands and wait to be called on to speak in my class" she said.

"Continue reading chapters 1 and 2" she smiled as she walked back towards her desk but as she was walking another student spoke up.

"Hermiones right what about our OWLs" came to voice of Harry's best friend Ron, professor Umbridge turned around to face Ron, Ron and Harry shared a quick grin,

"Students will raise their hands if they wish to speak" she said sternly but not without smiling.

Harry had also been wondering what this ministry woman was playing at, how will the students learn to defend and protect themselves if all their doing is reading?

Harry raised his hand "how will we learn for the real world" he asked without being called on but yet he said it staring right at their professor who hadn't cracked her smile one bit.

"Students will raise their hands and wait until their called on to be able to speak" she said firmly looking passed Harry pretending as if he wasn't there.

One of Harry's fellow Gryffindors dean Thomas raised his hand and waited patiently and when professor Umbridge hadn't called on him he waved his hand eagerly until professor Umbridge gave in and gave him permission to speak.

"like Harry had said how will we learn for the real world?" Dean asked, shooting a grin at Harry which Harry returned. Professor Umbridge let out a small laugh.

"Who do you imagine want to attack kids like yourselves" she asked in her usual girly voice but something about her honeyish voice itched Harry and he couldn't resist to snap back.

"Hmm.. let's think.. maybe lord Voldemort" he said before trying to stop himself realising it was to late, may people flinched and a few people audibly gasped at the name. Professor Umbridge on the other hand did not react to the name in whatsoever she stared at Harry as if he had uttered something truly disgusting.

"Right that's it detention my office. 8pm Mr Potter " she said he voice growing more and more furious as she went on, she looked like she was about to blow but when she closed her eyes and took a deep breath in she returned to her normal 'sweetness' and tried easing it with a smile.

"Continue reading please" she smiled, no one really wanted a detention with this woman so they had no choice but to listen and do as told. They all buried their heads into their books desperately hoping the lesson would be over soon.

Soon enough Hermione had raised her hand again.

"Yes?" She asked glancing at Hermione.

"I've finished the whole book" Hermione equally smiled at her watching professor Umbridge smile drop slowly as Hermione answered all her questions about the book perfectly.

1st part what do you think? Yes this part was sorta unnecessary but I just need to give the story a background and a character to run of. Enjoy and leave suggestions.