Chapter Eight

"Remember to bring food next time" Gail called after her friends as they shuffled out of her room.

She closed her eyes, ready for sleep to once again take her away to a less boring place. Gail was getting sick of the four walls she'd been laying in for the last few weeks, it was driving her stir crazy. She would take desk duty for a year over this any day.

Just as the inviting arms of sleep started to wrap around her a light rap on the door brought her back to the hospital room she laid in.

Gail blinked until she focused on her visitor. Her eyes raked over the crisp white shirt tucked neatly into dark pants, then back up to the dusty red hair pulled into a tight orderly bun.

"Mother." She greeted dryly, sitting up.

"How are you feeling sweetheart?" She asked once at the bedside, brushing a strand hair out of Gail's face.

"I still feel like I was shot and then had surgery."

Elaine gave her a disapproving look, one that said 'cut the crap'.

Gail sighed. "I don't know. I'm on a steady flow of some awesome pain killers, so I'm not totally sure how well I'm doing. But I can tell you it's better than the last time you stopped by."

She nodded once, accepting her answer. "And how are the twins? I'm guessing Ms. Stewart is still taking care of them, bringing them to visit"

"Yes Holly is still taking care of them. And yes, they stop by to give me dinner and fill me in on their days, everyday. Zander started eating normally again, and has been talking the past three days. And Ollie has decided she wants to do figure skating and hockey this year. Also Zander doesn't want sports and instead wants piano." Gail couldn't help but smile when talking about them.

"The twins seem to really like Ms. Stewart, gotten a bit attached from what I gathered last time I saw them."

Gail raised a brow, cutting Elaine off.

"She was all they talked about." Her mother answered her silent question. "As I was saying. I would like to get to know the woman who is not only stealing the hearts of my grandchildren, but yours as well."

"Oh." She shifted uncomfortably in her bed, pulling the sheet up a little higher. Gail wasn't great with feelings, talking about them especially and with her mother was at the bottom of the list. Elaine laying out her relationship for both to see was unnerving. "Um, yeah, Ollie and Zander really like Holly. And Holly really likes them, she's great with them too."

"I noticed." Elaine interrupted, tacking on a satisfied smile.

"If she's okay with it I'll bring her to the next Peck dinner."

"I look forward to it. I have to get back now, lunch is almost up." Elaine was back in 'Peck' mode as Gail liked to call her mother's business persona. "I will call you for details on the next dinner. Tell the kids I love them. Get well soon sweetheart, you don't want to get a lazy reputation or lose your spot in the division."

Gail gave her mother a tight smile, bitting her lip as to not make a snap at the Superintendent. So after receiving a quick kiss on the cheek she gave Elaine a nod.

~

"Yes, but your thumb lays on your fingers not tucked behind." Ollie said softly.

Gail listened intently as Ollie continued to guid Holly through what she suspected was the alphabet in sign language. These were the moments that quelled her worries of how well the teacher actually got along with her children. Whether or not Holly would get bored of them, or grow tired of them, or even if the kids continued to like the brunette in slow times like this. But as she listened to Holly eagerly learning to sign, she knew that none of that would happen. The brunette had been spending every spare moment caring for the twins. Waking up early to get them ready for school while she also got ready for work, dropping them off and picking them up from their after school activities, homework, dinner, play time, stories and bed, Holly had been doing it all and not once complaining. And here she was, absolutely enthralled with spending even more time with the kids.